Gretch Resonators

Leigh Coates

Reaction score
I really want a tenor resonator uke, but I can't afford a Mya Moe at the moment. Have any of you spent some time on a Gretch resonator, concert? (I don't think they build a tenor.)

I have the Gretch on order with the local music mega-store, and I can get a refund if I don't care for it. I REALLY wanted a tenor, so I'm thinking this isn't going to make me happy.

Has anybody been down this road before?

Take a look at Republic as well - http://republicguitars.com/ukuleles. They have a tenor as well, competitively priced against the Kalas and Gretsch.

My understanding of Republic (from a nearby store that used to be a dealer) is that they use Chinese components (maybe with National cones? not sure), but final assembly and setup is done in a small shop in Texas. Their quality control, from what I've heard, is quite good.

Mike at Uke Republic had a post here recently about the new model tenor reso's, maybe someone can find it. Supposedly, they have been re-worked and have bigger cones....supposed to sound much better than their initial models. In the concert size, the Gretsch has a "rolled brass tone ring." I'm not sure the competition in it's price range does.

Top Bottom