Pono TE

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Has anyone else tried out a Pono TE? My local shop, Hix Brothers in Aurora, IL has one that I tried last night.
Very cool product. I don't know how this compares to a Ko'olau CE-2 but it sure seems well built.
The one they have in stock has Misi pickup and has great sound.
I assume the TE stands for "Tenor Electric". One of these may well go on a future purchase list next time UAS strikes.

We've got a cedar topped satin finished one with MiSi and it's great. It's the first electric I've played so have nothing to compare it to. It has a radiused fretboard and a thinner neck than my other Ponos. I actually end up mostly playing it unplugged late at night or in my office so I don't disturb people.

I have the Mango version. Love it! Seriously love it! Just received it last Friday and couldn't put it down all weekend. Not a fan of the MiSi, though. Swapping it out for the passive Pono pickup.

The thin body it so comfortable and the action/play-ability, fit & finish are outstanding.

Mine is with a cedar top and gloss finish. I like the tone of the MiSi PU. It is as much as I would ever want in a solid body electric uke.

Look on HMS website. I believe they have a side by side comparison. Then buy from Hix Bros. They're a great Ukulele shop.

Last edited:
I have two KoOlau CEs and they are amazing, and have the custom KoOlau neck (not the fatter Pono neck, which still plagues the TEs) with LR Baggs powered pickups (made especially for KoOLau). If you want to work a deal, + modest cash, for the Kamaka sop, let me know, John. Plus, you can plug it in and try it out. I'm selling one and keeping one (whichever one doesn't sell, they sound the same).-Steve

Top Bottom