Low G String or Set?

centr0

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been trying to search for "low g" threads but nothing is coming up so here goes:

I just received a Kala KA-TG with a high G. While I like the sound of it, I believe I'd like the low g sound better.

Should I buy just the low g string itself? or as part of a set?

Which ones do you suggest? Been searching videos for string sets and loved how the Koolau Golds sound. But that's on a Kamaka not a Kala.

Also, will I have to widen the g-string nut slot to accomodate for a thicker string? What size file do I need to buy?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If anyone knows what string query works to search for low g threads please let me know.

Can't speak to your model of ukulele, but for my ukes (all Kamakas FWIW) I've never needed to widen the slot for a low G string.

I've tried just about every low G set I could get my hands on, and frankly, hated every last one of them - mainly because I don't care for the floppy feel and boomy sound that most non-wound low G strings have, and most sets I've found don't come with a wound low G.

Personally I like Martin Fluorocarbons for the other 3 strings, and a wound low G string, and this combination doesn't exist as a set. So I buy single wound low G strings, either the Fremont Soloist or a guitar D string (Savarez Red High Tension, when I can find one sold as a single).

And yeah - searches for "low G" won't work since the search string doesn't meet the minimum character requirements. I tried going to Advanced Search and searching "low G strings" in Titles Only, and was able to get a decent results set, but you'll still need to weed through them to find the ones for string recommendations. Here's a discussion I started some time ago (in which I eventually settled on the aforementioned Fremont Soloist string).

I had to widen the nut slot on a Kala to accommodate a PhD low G string. An emery board worked well for this. I prefer the sound of the Fremont Soloist (wound low G) over the PhD. The Fremont is less boomy and it fits the standard Kala nut without any widening.

worth browns are another option for string sets, but you'll get 2 of them.

I fit some phd's on my fluke (very minimal filing required). Not a bad string. Definitely not great for strumming, I find the low-g drone to be pretty annoying and also find I need to be unlazy fingering chords like Em, etc.

What I should be doing is to hunt down more classical/renaissance/etc tabs for low-g.

Btw if you want to avoid messing with the nut a wrapped low-g should do you. Oasis makes a wrapped low-g set, those can be found at HMS for a good price.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/oasis-strings-double-sets-4-options.html

I have the same uke you have. Tried Aquilq Red Series Low G. I only put the low G on to try it but ended up putting the whole set on. I found that I do not care for the low G on this uke. They're all different so yours may sound fine with them. Good luck!

Great info! Thanks guys. Just ordered the Fremont low g and a set of koolau golds (impulse).

The Thomastik-Infeld CF30 Chromium Flat Wound classical guitar "D" string works very well as a mostly "squeakless" wound low-G string. It matches very nicely with Worth CT strings but should match others as well. The tension is in the ballpark of the other strings and the volume and tone are not a huge change when doing finger rolls across all four strings. It has a nice bright tone without being "scratchy." Intonation is also quite good.

No string is perfect, of course, but this is the only string I've found that makes low-G tuning work for me. I haven't tried everything out there, but I did try many, and I didn't much care for low-G tuning until trying one of these strings.

(BTW, the CF35 and CF30, as D and G respectively, are also my favorite strings for string linear DGBE baritone ukes.)

John

My tenor came with a low G after I asked that it be installed. He used Worth clears and didn't have to widen the nut, he said it would be snug, but would be okay. And it is. I like the sound.

That uke came with Aquilas. If you otherwise like the sound of it and just want a low g, individual low g Aquilas are readily available. If it isn't your favorite sound, lots of great low g sets available. Don't overlook Freemont Blacks among others.

Update after a few days with the Fremont low g:

I love it. Sounds fuller to me but that's just my beginner opinion. I'll be focusing on finger style and most tabs i see are low g for it. Still sounds great strumming. That low g string has a small squeak and is tearing up my pointer and middle finger. Virgin hands.

Thank you all for the info.

What I should be doing is to hunt down more classical/renaissance/etc tabs for low-g.
Michael Parmenter's site is a gold mine for Renaissance uke tabs. He does both re-entrant and low G, and sometimes both for the same piece.

http://ukeclassicaltabs.blogspot.com/

Note: His PDFs are tab-only but he also includes the TablEdit files. If you get the free TablEdit viewer, you can print them with standard notation as well as tab and you can adjust the page spacing if needed. (To me there's nothing more annoying than having just a measure or two carry over to a second page.)

And yeah - searches for "low G" won't work since the search string doesn't meet the minimum character requirements. I tried going to Advanced Search and searching "low G strings" in Titles Only, and was able to get a decent results set, but you'll still need to weed through them to find the ones for string recommendations. Here's a discussion I started some time ago (in which I eventually settled on the aforementioned Fremont Soloist string).

You can perform a short phrase/word search on any site with Google by placing your term(s) in quotations. Use the following format:

Code:
"your search term or phrase" site:forum.ukuleleunderground.com/

for example,

"low G" site:http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/

Works great, but it may not provide the absolute most recent posts if a Google spider hasn't dropped in and taken a snapshot of the thread with your search terms. I use this method all the time with great success on all forums.

I changed to low G some time ago and havent looked back - I play alot of melody and the extra low G makes life a lot easier.
However..
I did miss the usual ringing sound associated with a high G when strumming so I decided to try something inventive on an old Brunswick Tenor. Ive added another tuning head and fitted a high G in tandem, like a 12 string guitar or a mandolin. It took 20 minutes and sounds really interesting.
Will record a pic / vid if anyone would like to see...

just put a set of aquila super nyglut [their newest set] 107U on a Martin tenor and so far I'm liking them. they seem more balanced than some other low g sets, where the G booms. they come with a red G, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I changed to low G some time ago and havent looked back - I play alot of melody and the extra low G makes life a lot easier.
However..
I did miss the usual ringing sound associated with a high G when strumming so I decided to try something inventive on an old Brunswick Tenor. Ive added another tuning head and fitted a high G in tandem, like a 12 string guitar or a mandolin. It took 20 minutes and sounds really interesting.
Will record a pic / vid if anyone would like to see...

I was really, really, tempted to do this to my Mainland mango tenor after watching some of Taimane's vids and realizing how much I like the sound of that five-string she's been playing. But, it's my favorite tenor and so perfect I just couldn't bring myself to risk any changes that the tension of an extra string might bring to the instrument. So, I ordered a five-string M style boat paddle.

It's funny though, my reason for wanting the octave G strings was so I could use the high-G string for picking finger-rolls and have the octave double for strumming - go figure. LOL

John

worth browns are another option for string sets, but you'll get 2 of them.

I fit some phd's on my fluke (very minimal filing required). Not a bad string. Definitely not great for strumming, I find the low-g drone to be pretty annoying and also find I need to be unlazy fingering chords like Em, etc.

Btw if you want to avoid messing with the nut a wrapped low-g should do you. Oasis makes a wrapped low-g set, those can be found at HMS for a good price.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/oasis-strings-double-sets-4-options.html
I love the worths brown but wasn't sure if I would like the low g so I got a set of worth browns w/ high g and got a extra single low g. I love the wb low g but still have the option to switch back if I want w/ a spare set of both;)
http://elderly.com/brand/STSG_worth.html

You can perform a short phrase/word search on any site with Google by placing your term(s) in quotations. Use the following format:

Code:
"your search term or phrase" site:forum.ukuleleunderground.com/

for example,

"low G" site:http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/

Works great, but it may not provide the absolute most recent posts if a Google spider hasn't dropped in and taken a snapshot of the thread with your search terms. I use this method all the time with great success on all forums.

LOL - longtime tech industry worker here so I know my way around :) But I don't expect the average forum user to know that, or to use Google when the forum has a prominent search box AND an advanced search - neither of which allows for the OP's search. I had actually never tried the UU Advanced Search before and was surprised that it didn't do the trick.

Top Bottom