Crazy little Dolphin came today, no kidding those strings sounded AWFUL!

pixiepurls

Reaction score
I was supposed to have my daughters uke teacher string it for me but I got impatient and learned how to do it myself today! I can say that made me feel pretty darn accomplished.

Not sure I secured it at the bottom the best way possible but I did it the way I learned online. It was buzzing on the second string so I took a knitting needle and fiddled at some stuck paint or something and I was quiet surprised when that fixed it (the spot at the top where the string first goes over the fret board).

http://youtu.be/DVjU4W2AhVw

Here is me practicing on day 4 of my giveit100.com challenge (100 days of learning to play ukulele) and it was the first day I worked on strumming instead of fingerstyle. I really like fingerstyle though!

The strings the Makala came with were just so bad, they would not keep tune even for 5 seconds. As soon as I put the aquila's on it was soooooo amazingly better and I stretched the strings a bit and A and E are already keeping tune really well.

I love it in the white pearl. I let my youngest who is taking lessons sign her name on the back :)

Last edited:
I felt the same way the first time I changed my strings myself! I've played guitar forever and I STILL can't change the strings right. =/

I really want one of those little guys! I think I want the Shark in mint green. Or purple...can't decide.

I got mine from Uke Republic and it was already set up with Aquilas....

It looks as if the G and the C strings (top two) are improperly strung. They should mirror the E and A strings (bottom two) where the string attaches to the machine head on the inside of the head rather than from the outside edge of the head.

It looks as if the G and the C strings (top two) are improperly strung. They should mirror the E and A strings (bottom two) where the string attaches to the machine head on the inside of the head rather than from the outside edge of the head.

ohhhh yeah I think you are right I twisted them all the same way. Can I fix that and not ruin the strings? I was worried I would mess something up so I didn't clip the strings. The C doesn't quiet sound right that may be why.

ohhhh yeah I think you are right I twisted them all the same way. Can I fix that and not ruin the strings? I was worried I would mess something up so I didn't clip the strings. The C doesn't quiet sound right that may be why.

just unwind and rewind the other way, you can also pull them a little tighter while you are at it, I shoot for 2-3 winds around the post.

Well done! It feels great to do stuff yourself, eh?

just unwind and rewind the other way, you can also pull them a little tighter while you are at it, I shoot for 2-3 winds around the post.

Yeah i followed the instructions to pull it tight then give 1.5 inches slack but for one of the strings I kept getting 4 turns around… which was frustrating. I guess because the cords are different thickness they stretch differently. Its the second string from the right side (A or E).

Top Bottom