PDA

View Full Version : Crazy little Dolphin came today, no kidding those strings sounded AWFUL!

pixiepurls
02-25-2014, 02:28 PM
I was supposed to have my daughters uke teacher string it for me but I got impatient and learned how to do it myself today! I can say that made me feel pretty darn accomplished.

Not sure I secured it at the bottom the best way possible but I did it the way I learned online. It was buzzing on the second string so I took a knitting needle and fiddled at some stuck paint or something and I was quiet surprised when that fixed it (the spot at the top where the string first goes over the fret board).

http://youtu.be/DVjU4W2AhVw

Here is me practicing on day 4 of my giveit100.com challenge (100 days of learning to play ukulele) and it was the first day I worked on strumming instead of fingerstyle. I really like fingerstyle though!

The strings the Makala came with were just so bad, they would not keep tune even for 5 seconds. As soon as I put the aquila's on it was soooooo amazingly better and I stretched the strings a bit and A and E are already keeping tune really well.

I love it in the white pearl. I let my youngest who is taking lessons sign her name on the back :)

http://youtu.be/Au8mRuTlKH0

Concertina
02-25-2014, 04:14 PM
I felt the same way the first time I changed my strings myself! I've played guitar forever and I STILL can't change the strings right. =/

I really want one of those little guys! I think I want the Shark in mint green. Or purple...can't decide.

DaleR
02-26-2014, 12:24 AM
I got mine from Uke Republic and it was already set up with Aquilas....

mikelz777
02-26-2014, 02:14 AM
It looks as if the G and the C strings (top two) are improperly strung. They should mirror the E and A strings (bottom two) where the string attaches to the machine head on the inside of the head rather than from the outside edge of the head.

pixiepurls
02-26-2014, 03:31 AM
It looks as if the G and the C strings (top two) are improperly strung. They should mirror the E and A strings (bottom two) where the string attaches to the machine head on the inside of the head rather than from the outside edge of the head.

ohhhh yeah I think you are right I twisted them all the same way. Can I fix that and not ruin the strings? I was worried I would mess something up so I didn't clip the strings. The C doesn't quiet sound right that may be why.

strumsilly
02-26-2014, 04:21 AM
ohhhh yeah I think you are right I twisted them all the same way. Can I fix that and not ruin the strings? I was worried I would mess something up so I didn't clip the strings. The C doesn't quiet sound right that may be why.

just unwind and rewind the other way, you can also pull them a little tighter while you are at it, I shoot for 2-3 winds around the post.

seeso
02-26-2014, 04:28 AM
Well done! It feels great to do stuff yourself, eh?

pixiepurls
02-26-2014, 09:52 AM
just unwind and rewind the other way, you can also pull them a little tighter while you are at it, I shoot for 2-3 winds around the post.

Yeah i followed the instructions to pull it tight then give 1.5 inches slack but for one of the strings I kept getting 4 turns around… which was frustrating. I guess because the cords are different thickness they stretch differently. Its the second string from the right side (A or E).