The "I got out bid again on a vintage Martin trashed out ukulele" Thread

dismount

Reaction score
Wow old Martins are really hot on Ebay. Some are just in a basket of pieces and water soaked stomped and rotted and they still bring over a hundred. I do declare I'm plumb depressed. Sorry just venting!

One would wonder why you would want a water-soaked stomped and rotted ukulele? If damaged that bad chances are even with a very professional repair it's not going to sound as good as a modern replica. Just sayin'... :)

John

Not sure you'd get one for a hundred unless if came in a small bag.

If you really want one, don't get into a bidding war with other people. Wait until the last 10 seconds of the auction and bid your maximum amount. Use the "Add to Watch list" button instead of placing a bid to watch it.

I know what you mean though. The other day there was one practically split in half, that went for 240 dollars. Spend another 200 and get a nice one with no work needed.

You can get a lot better uke in better shape for less money, though I guess it's fun to repair old instruments and get them back in working order. Makes me glad I'm not interested though. Usually when collectors (as opposed to users) start grabbing things up, the price quickly goes to way more than they're worth. Users pay prices according to what use or functionality they receive from the product, where collectors are usually either interested in sentimental value of a no-longer-made item, or are looking to profit financially, and either case brings people willing to pay way more than something is really worth as far as functionality. If one is collecting for sentiment, it's too bad it's so hard to assemble a nice collection just to have and enjoy, but when you're competing with profiteers, greed is the standard, and they'll outbid you at the last fraction of a second if they can.

I'd get one of these: http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/35232/index.php

I love my Martin and I'd rather get one from a known dealer (with a fair price obviously, not that ones asking $1200 for a 1950s Martin style 0) than off ebay, with the risk of a bowed neck, cracks, neck separations etc.

Top Bottom