Gorgeous Collings, Wow Price!!!

Telperion

Reaction score
I inquired about this uke before it was up on their site, hoping that it was somehow within reach. Boy, was I wrong!

http://www.themusicemporium.com/pro...ngs-uc3-41-style-brazilian-spruce-custom.html

I was told that the increase over a typical style 41 concert was because of the Brazilian, and that it was being sold at list price without the typical discount. For reference, there's a great new UC41K with incredible koa at Maple Leaf Music right now for $3330. The Brazilian is nice, and I like the unique (for a Collings uke) headstock, but holy moly!

-Steve

"the Tenor brother to this one will be here soon"
- wonder what the price will be

PM sent to OP

I think that is also driving up the price is the headstock and headstock purfling.

The rarity of Brazilian always adds a premium, but goodness, that's one heck of a premium. I find it hard to believe it makes any difference to tone, but I promise you someone will buy it.

Geez, that's a lot of dough!

Opps, I accidentally hit "Add to Cart" while looking at the pictures.

Man is my wife going to be pissed!

I've never played a Collings. How are they?

I've never played a Collings. How are they?

I've played a few and - meh. Really inconsistent. I know of one extremely sweet sounding and playing mahogany tenor - the bare-bones bottom of the line one - that is AMAZING; I've played a higher-end koa tenor that was very very nice but nowhere close to "amazing." And I've encountered several others of the bottom-end mahogany tenor or concert that were all underwhelming.

But then I could truthfully say something similar about the Kamakas I've known and/or loved; despite being the Kamaka fangirl that I am, I can't say they are all AMAZING either. No matter the maker, I firmly believe that every uke is different.

All of this to say that I can't imagine spending that kinda dough on the uke in the OP, sight unseen, no matter how rare or exclusive. But hey, if I had that kinda dough to begin with, I'm sure my entire world view would be something other than what it is now! :)

All of this to say that I can't imagine spending that kinda dough on the uke in the OP, sight unseen, no matter how rare or exclusive. But hey, if I had that kinda dough to begin with, I'm sure my entire world view would be something other than what it is now! :)

My guess is that it will go to a collector and hang in a case. Too bad, because I was told that this is the nicest sounding uke to come through TME. It needs to be played!!

As far as Collings ukes in general... I love them for their playability and feel. I've only played the UT2's and UC2's with a gloss finish, so I can't speak to the satin models, but the ones I've played were outstanding. They are not Hawaiian ukes by any means, though, so if you are a Kamaka or other Hawaiian fan, they might not be your style. I love them for picking, and I generally play with nails. They sound great for playing bluegrass, jazz, classical, etc. They're very light and well balanced, and the fit and finish are impeccable.

-Steve

I believe the consistency argument on any instrument is valid. I have an excellent sounding UT-1 tenor hog. Plays extremely easy and excellent intonation.

The thing you are getting also with Collings is possibly one of the best build qualities and most consistently built that way. No manufacturing slips, shortcuts, no flubs and really clean. Very light and smells really good...I know that sounds weird, but what a great smell the mahogany has!

The rarity of Brazilian always adds a premium, but goodness, that's one heck of a premium. I find it hard to believe it makes any difference to tone, but I promise you someone will buy it.

The rare brazilian cannot possibly make a 5000 dollar difference.

Comedy challenge

Complete the following sentence from the add:

"the popularity of the uke has soared in the last five years; and the folks at Collings have..."

I'll sell my Collings for half that!

Yeesh! That's more than my motorcycle cost me and I can ride it from one coast to the other... :)

Seriously, I've never played a Collings uke - I did get to play one of their guitars a few years ago and I remember that it was very nice but not that much better than my plainjane Taylor.

I've also heard that the Collings are very nice but slightly "guitarish" in their sound - that's second-hand, though.

One thing can be said though...they seem to hold their resale value extremely well.

John

My guess is that it will go to a collector and hang in a case. Too bad, because I was told that this is the nicest sounding uke to come through TME. It needs to be played!!

As far as Collings ukes in general... I love them for their playability and feel. I've only played the UT2's and UC2's with a gloss finish, so I can't speak to the satin models, but the ones I've played were outstanding. They are not Hawaiian ukes by any means, though, so if you are a Kamaka or other Hawaiian fan, they might not be your style. I love them for picking, and I generally play with nails. They sound great for playing bluegrass, jazz, classical, etc. They're very light and well balanced, and the fit and finish are impeccable.

-Steve

Pretty sure your guess is spot on. I'm told that most of the higher end ukes and guitars at my local shop end up sold as vanity pieces to people with far more money than playing ability.

Sounds like you play the way I do - nails, and picking - definitely the only thing Hawaiian about my playing is the factory where my uke was built! :) I think more accurately for me, part of why I've not been hugely WOW'ed by Collings is that they don't build sopranos, which is my preferred size. After hearing and playing the aforementioned satin hog tenor that I loved, I tried to find a comparable Collings hog concert (also satin), but none of the ones I saw sounded as good.

Last edited:
I think more accurately for me, part of why I've not been hugely WOW'ed by Collings is that they don't build sopranos, which is my preferred size.

There is that rumor that they will be unveiling a soprano at NAMM this summer. Not sure how much truth is in that rumor, but it is out there... again... We'll see!

-Steve

Top Bottom