How Do You Know Good Strings?

kuzuyan

Reaction score
I read the pinned post describing all the different strings over on the other section, and that is a lot of info to take in.

I'm pretty new to playing (only had my uke about a month/month and a half) and I don't think need to worry about changing strings just yet. However, I am curious.

I have a Lanikai soprano I got from Guitar Center with whatever it's stock strings are. For most of my playing they work great, but sometimes the C seems just a little bit off. Also, the A gets a sort of.. tinny? sound if I strum or pluck at or past the fifth fret. Is that normal?

When the time does come for new strings, how do I know which ones to try first with my uke? From what I've gathered different strings work differently with different ukuleles. I've seen many positive posts of Living Waters and Martin M600s. Some very mixed stuff on Aquila.

Anyway, sorry for the long post! I look forward to reading what you guys have to say, thanks!

I think you know good strings by how they sound to you. That might change day to day lol. I think Lanikai uses aquila and I think they sound pretty nice on mine. In the beginning, from my experience, my technique was and is more of a problem than the actual sound of the strings. I'm putting that string selection thingy off into my future for the most part. I need to work on playing better and getting too hung up on things like the sound of a particular set of strings, which can be pretty subtle to the untrained ear, is a distraction for me. Your milage may vary.

A strings feel and sound pretty much comes down to being a personal thing so finding a good one will be based on your experience. Many will sing the praises of Aquila strings but I did not like them on my Lanikai or my Ohana. They sounded kind of dull and muddy to me. Oasis strings brought my Lanikai to life and I like the Martins I put on my Ohana much more than I did Aquilas. What I noticed when comparing the three string brands was that the Oasis and Martins were of a lighter gauge than the Aquilas. Apparently, a lighter gauge must be my thing because I've also tried some D'Addarios which were of a heavier gauge than the Aquilas and I really disliked the D'Addarios. Were you me, I'd first try Oasis, then Martins. I've heard good things about Living Waters and Worth strings but I haven't had experience with either.

Last edited:
I agree -- it is highly subjective. What sounds good to your ear might not to somebody else. Some people like hard tension, others prefer softer tension. Plus if you play low g, there is a lot of debate over wound strings (less boomy but can squeak), etc.

Not to mention the fact that the "best" strings may not be the "best" on all your ukes. I use Living Water on one uke exclusively and PhD on one uke exclusively. Every time I get a new uke, I spend a lot of time changing strings to decide which ones I like best on that particular instrument. I keep a stockpile of strings of different brands just for that reason.

I have a Lanikai soprano I got from Guitar Center with whatever it's stock strings are. For most of my playing they work great, but sometimes the C seems just a little bit off. Also, the A gets a sort of.. tinny? sound if I strum or pluck at or past the fifth fret. Is that normal?

When the time does come for new strings, how do I know which ones to try first with my uke? From what I've gathered different strings work differently with different ukuleles. I've seen many positive posts of Living Waters and Martin M600s. Some very mixed stuff on Aquila.

Some good advice so far on the subjectivity of it all, but - the time has come. As soon as you're noticing something is off, the fist thing to try is a string change.

Do you know if your uke is a laminate or solid wood? The Aquilas can bring out the best in some laminates, but on solid wood ukes I tend to prefer Martins (or other fluorocarbons). I know somebody with a spruce-top Lanikai and Aquilas actually sound fantastic on that thing, but the strings it came with (origins unknown, black nylon, probably GHS) certainly did not.

I agree -- it is highly subjective. What sounds good to your ear might not to somebody else. Some people like hard tension, others prefer softer tension. Plus if you play low g, there is a lot of debate over wound strings (less boomy but can squeak), etc.

Not to mention the fact that the "best" strings may not be the "best" on all your ukes.....
This is perfect.

Are you able to join a club? Know other ukers? You may want to be sure you are fingering the strings cleanly before considering new strings. 6 weeks is a short time to have mastered much "technique." It may want to check the intonation of your Lanikai. http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulele-setup.html

As you play more you will develop a preference for how you want your ukulele to sound and feel. Lately I have been putting Worth Clears on my "nicer" ukuleles and I have been happy with them. Ironically, I have a custom ukulele that sounds and plays best (in my opinion) with Hilo strings - $4 a set.
Generally, I dislike the harder-feeling strings. For me, Aquila is in this category. My Kala concert has Aquila strings on it now, and it is OK, but I will likely try Hilos on it next, just for kicks. The only strings I have universally NOT liked ever are GHS. I have had good luck with Ko`olau, D'Addario, Hilo, and Worth. When you have some extra $ just go buy some different brands and try them! It's not a huge investment and the more you change strings, the easier it gets. Plus, I use it as an opportunity to thoroughly clean my ukulele as well.

Cheers!

How Do You Know Good Strings?

To paraphrase Louis Armstrong, if you have to ask you'll never know.

Lots of great replies! I looked up my model and it says it's all mahogony.

To the gentlemen who pointed out it could be technical errors: I almost certainly believe the tinny sound I'm getting is me, but I thought I should include the concern anyway. You guys are awesome, thanks!

I looked up my model and it says it's all mahogony.

To the gentlemen who pointed out it could be technical errors: I almost certainly believe the tinny sound I'm getting is me, but I thought I should include the concern anyway. You guys are awesome, thanks!

Give the Martin M600s a try - they're inexpensive and easy to find, so if you don't like them you won't be out much. Personally I like them on both mahogany and koa.

When I first started playing, I had a low-end uke that had some issues similar to what you describe. I thought the problem was me and my technique (or lack thereof), but decided to change the strings, and - no more issues! It wasn't me at all, but the horrible black nylon strings that the uke came with.

I like the new D'Addarios and Aquilas, but it is really up to the feel on your uke and the sound YOU like. Uke is cool, because you only have to answer to you!

"Good" strings are those which sound pleasing to your ear and feel right in your hands.

"Superb" strings are those which feel right and sound pleasing to your ear and the ears of most others - i.e. the intonation is reasonably good so chords don't sound sour.

I've found that strings that are "good" on one uke may be "superb" on another.

So, finding "good" strings is something that is both subjective and, if you've got a well-developed ear for pitch, tends to vary from uke to uke. There have been several times that I've thought I've found the "magic bullet" that will work on everything, only to be proven wrong by a new uke. I've even had strings that I've given up on prove to be useful, though not superb, on a new uke.

If you're on an extremely tight budget then whatever is on your uke may have to be "good" until they break. :)

John

Again, great things to know. Thanks for the replies. I'm sure once I've had a chance to experiment a little I'll post about it.

I looked up my model and it says it's all mahogony.

If the description says your uke is "all mahogany," it might be a laminate. The words "solid mahogany" indicate a solid wood instrument.

+1 for Martin strings. They are widely (and often affordably) available and a good example of fluorocarbon strings.

The string chase is one of the fun parts of playing 'ukulele. The sound of an instrument can be made or broken by your choice of strings.

Happy hunting for the strings K. I've been there many a time and each journey can be educational and fun. Every $6 investment can lead to a different voice to your instrument. Please remember that it takes strings some time to stretch and settle in so give them some play time before judging.

What sounds good to you is good.

Here is a link to the exact model I bought: http://lanikaiukes.com/laniblog/lu22sgc-ukulele/
I had to look up the terminology, but yeah, since it's definitely not all one piece, that makes it laminate, right?

Anyway, now I think no matter what I'm going to buy at least two sets of strings just to mess around and see what fits.

I read in a different part of the forum that it takes about 3-4 days to get the strings "broke in." This is while adjusting a few times throughout each day. Is that about right?

That Lanikai is a laminate wood uke. but honestly - the correct advice on strings has been given above regardless of the uke. The best strings are those that sound and feel best to you.

I have had people recommend strings to me for a uke that they own the same model of, and I hated them. It doesnt make them 'wrong'. Just wrong to tell me they were perfect for ME

I read in a different part of the forum that it takes about 3-4 days to get the strings "broke in." This is while adjusting a few times throughout each day. Is that about right?

For me, it varies, depending on a lot of factors. Even though I'm prepared for it, I'm always a little amazed at how much strings will stretch. So, basically, just be aware that you will need to re-tune frequently after a string change.

And it's not a bad habit to check the tuning every time you play, even after the strings settle.

Top Bottom