Replacing Tuners

kdmccullum

Reaction score
I've got a Kala long neck soprano which I really enjoy with one exception. The geared tuners just don't look right. So I have been thinking about replacing them with friction tuners. Having never done this I thought I'd see if this was an easy thing to do. I was looking at the Grover Sta-Tite 4W as a good alternative but I figured I would ask before ordering the parts.

Kurt

Grover tuners are a great choice. Not sure about Kalas but I replaced geared tuners with friction tuners on my Ohana soprano and it was very easy.
There should be a law against putting geared tuners on sopranos.

Last edited:
I put 4B's (black buttons) on an unknown maker custom and it was very easy. I had to enlarge the holes slightly with a hand drill. You probably won't have to do that.
The whole project took about 30 minutes including re-stringing.
The Grover 4 series are great tuners and well worth the money.

Thanks to both of you. Looks like I'll go ahead and change these out.

These are Grover Sta-tite tuners selling in the UK for £57 .99

But I can't understand why anyone would pay that much when you can get these at approx: £8.00 a set.???

Or these which I use..also Approx: £8.0 a set (The spring loaded type are very good)

Ken,
Would you please share your source for the spring loaded tuners?
thanks,
Chester

I would not use a drill... At most, use the drill bit and work by hand. Much safer for the headstock and you will have less damage to the edges of the hole. If you can get a reemer (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Reamers/Peghole_Reamers.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=466 <-- A little on the expensive side), that would be optimal.

I've changed out several sets at my buddies shop for his customers and these are the only two methods I would recommend. They take longer, but it will be safer and the results are excellent.

~Danny

One more thing. If you do drill a hole , clamp a scrap piece of wood to the headstock and then drill the hole deep enough making sure that your drill bit goes into the scrap wood. That will help keep the bit from tearing the surface of your headstock.

If you're using metric sizes, a reamer for R/C plane propellers would work. Go to www.towerhobbies.com and type reamer into the search function. They step from 7, 8, and 10mm holes, and are meant to cut through carbon and Kevlar. A local hobby shop would carry them, or I guess ebay with $2 shipping. image.jpg

Thank you, Ken.
I know from your other posts that you have used tuners from them before, but i didn't know they had the spring tension ...and they don't list it in the description.

Got my replacement tuners in the mail today and it took about 15 minutes to put them on. I'm still adjusting the tightness due to the springs but so far I really like them. Definitely an improvement in the 'looks' department.

Thanks for the link to the tuners on eBay. Definitely worth the money.

Kurt

These are Grover Sta-tite tuners selling in the UK for £57 .99

But I can't understand why anyone would pay that much when you can get these at approx: £8.00 a set.???

I can't understand why anyone would pay $96.00 usd for a set of grover sta-tite's. They cost $22.89 in the US, which is £13.78

And at that price, they still want. £3.99 postage on top! SUS are not my favourite UK outlet, but this seems to be way over the top, even for them. Most items here cost a lot more than they do sateside though, seems to be the price you pay for living in the UK. Plus the choices are so limited, when it comes to ukes and other instruments.

Top Bottom