Good mid-range Pineapple uke?

jjdejd

Reaction score
Looking into pineapple sapranos in the $100-$200 price range. Prefer koa. Doesn't need to be a deluxe version. The KPK has my interest. Any other recommendations?

This may sound strange but my vote for your price range would go to the flea, preferably with a walnut top and two part bridge.
Bill

For $155, the KPK solid acacia is an unbeatable deal......IMHO

For $155, the KPK solid acacia is an unbeatable deal......IMHO

Yeah, those KPK's are looking pretty appealing for a modestly priced pineapple.

I've not tried it, but what about the Ohana PK-25G? I have the concert version and its nice.

I know this doesn't help now, but I just bought an Alulu on Ebay. It's koa...when I get it I can let you know how I like it!

savagehenry has the Ohana solid mahogany soprano. It's a little sweety, but I think it's a little "quiet" Great for quiet little jams and serenades.

The KPK would be a good choice. Just wondering why you want a pineapple?

Two recommendations from me.

Either a Mainland Pineapple, or a MagicFluke Pineapple flea (which you can get with a concert neck)

You can see my beautiful Pineapple flea in play on my youtube channel with a Mr bojangles instrumental I taped two days ago.

This is a bit over the standard (179) flea it has pegheds and a rosewood fretboad but a standard flea is sweet.

1. Every 'ukulele player needs a pineapple. This is not up for discussion.
2. I have a concert neck Flea that is sturdy and sounds good. It's my travel uke. It has about 35,000 miles on it.
3. KPK is soon to have a concert length pineapple. They seem to have the best rep around here for affordable solid wood instruments.

That is all.

:
The KPK would be a good choice. Just wondering why you want a pineapple?

See post #10. LOL I have a tenor and have my eye on a concert that I will probably order this week. Soooooo, I always wanted a soprano and figured a pineapple would fit the bill. Then I'm done - for a while! :)

:

See post #10. LOL I have a tenor and have my eye on a concert that I will probably order this week. Soooooo, I always wanted a soprano and figured a pineapple would fit the bill. Then I'm done - for a while! :)

I wanted to add my vote for either a Flea or a Fluke...

Back in Nov 2013 I bought a lava concert Flea from Uke Republic on sale for $179. After playing it at least an hour per day for a month I could not only not put it down, but after I got used to the near-perfect intonation, I found it difficult to play my other, previously purchased ukes...

I got the basic model with the polycarbonate fretboard and friction tuners. At the time, this was the best uke I had owned, and it ruined me for my less-well-intonated ukes...

My next investment to satisfy the UAS demons, was a tenor Fluke with the koa soundboard, walnut neck, rosewood fretboard, and pegheds that I got a great deal on bought used from another member here on UU recently. The only thing it did not have was a pickup, and it is flawless.

I love it and it has become my favorite instrument. intonation is spot on up to the 12th fret, and only about 5 cents sharp after that, and this is the first uke that I've owned aside from the aforementioned flea that you could actually tune to itself at the fifth fret like a guitar, or via harmonics from the 5th fret to the 7th fret (all other ukes I have the intonation was very bad)....

Being that intonation is now something that I am very sensitive to, I've taken to modifying the nut and saddle on each other instrument to improve the string geometry, intonation and action, but this far while making it 'better', I've not made it as good as the instruments from Magic Fluke company.

So the moral of the story here is that if you care about intonation and are sensitive to it being off, I'd recommend either getting an instrument from Magic Fluke Company (which in my experience) comes from the factory with a perfect set-up, or whatever other instrument you get, either plan to have the nut and saddle adjusted as part of the set-up either from the maker (KPK) or from a luthier local to you, or learn how to, and plan to do it yourself like I've tried....

Also, bonus points that instruments from Magic Fluke Company are all 'Made In USA' which is a big selling point for me.

Last edited:
2. I have a concert neck Flea that is sturdy and sounds good. It's my travel uke. It has about 35,000 miles on it.
3. KPK is soon to have a concert length pineapple. They seem to have the best rep around here for affordable solid wood instruments.

That is all.

Yeah to all this. :) And 2nd Bill's recommendation for the walnut top Flea--although at $289 for the soprano, that's out of your price range.

FYI I heard from Jason at KPK earlier this week. Seems the concert neck pineapple won't be released until at least April, as they closed the factory for a much-deserved Chinese New Year vacation in Jan.. It would be worth the wait--but me, I just refuse to wait that long. :D

Oh, and of course they're out of stock right now too, but Mainland has a sweet cedar/rosewood concert neck pineapple. Mango sopranos are in stock though. Yeah, I try to keep up with the pineapple patch.

I'm happy with my Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple.
They also have Mango and Mahogany.

This is soooo true, we should start a flea travel club, my beat up fluke has well over 50k on it. I travel 150 - 200 days a year and playing uke in the hotel room really is the only way i stay sane.

Olarte, that was lovely, where do you get the music from? Do you have tabs?

Bill

I have 2 Fleas and a Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple. I love them, and would highly recommend either!

I have neither, but have always been right to follow what Chris Tarman says.

Or Janeray1940, or DKCrown, or EugeneUkulele, or AndrewKUker, or...

Top Bottom