Needing a 2nd opinion, a little discouraged!

LeeR

Reaction score
Welp, like the title says. I'm hoping for a little insight from some of you gentlemen regarding a used ukulele I picked up last week.

Here it is in a nutshell. I found what I thought to be an awesome deal on an 8 string Uke. Brought it home and the action seem a little hard/high for me. Got some help here and was directed to "Island Guitars" here in Honolulu to see if they could help possibly set up and lower the action a little.

I went in and saw Peter, who by the way was a very professional and nice guy (so this post is not meant to bash or bad name them). But he literally looked at the uke for 5-10 seconds and gave it back to me and told me he can't help me with it. Peter said that the neck was bowed and it would need to be reset and it would need a re-fret.

Now I am no professional player and am just trying to get back into playing after years of having not owned a uke. So I was just looking for any kind of help at all. I asked him if there was anything else he could to, to which he replied "sorry". Peter then told me that it would not be worth the money to fix and that I may as well buy a new ukulele. So I asked him for a set of new strings. He told me he has 1 set left. I asked him which brand they were and he told me "Oh the regular black one's". This is the point were the disappointment REALLY set in. I saw the were "Hilo" brand and figured they would be okay to try out as I've heard decent things about this brand.

That just didn't sit well with me as I just spent $300 on this Uke. I got home and sanded off about 1 mm from the saddle and restrung the Uke. There was an immediate difference in the action. The strings I'm sure are softer but the action was definitely lowered at the 12th fret.

So Here's were I could use a little help (sorry this is so long winded).

1st - the saddle sits real loose in the bridge so I'm wondering if I should get a new one.

2nd - There's about 2mm of the saddle sticking up above the bridge and I read somewhere that ideally you'd want atleast 3mm. Is this a problem?

3rd - right now the action seems correct at the nut, when I bar the 3rd fret, I can slide a business card between the first fret and strings and there is a decent amount of friction. At the 12th fret, as best I can measure, the strings are about 4 mm off of the fret or 2.5 16th (not quite 3/16. Is this a good/normal range?

4th - From what I see I can probably sand down the to of the bridge on both sides of the saddle a little thus allowing me to bring the saddle down a little more, but I'm not sure if that is safe or will adversely affect the sound. If I do that the saddle will be a total of roughly 5mm high with roughly 3mm sitting in the bridge and 2mm sticking out. Right now its about 6mm with 4mm in the bridge and 2mm sticking out above it.

Here are some pictures that may give you a better idea, any help or opinions would be awesome, thanks in advance!!!!!

20140227_072243_zpsf8f800a9.jpg

20140227_072309_zpsebb05f0e.jpg

20140227_072250_zps1a0f7c89.jpg

20140227_072604_zpsc5865c01.jpg

Last edited:
Welp, like the title says. I'm hoping for a little insight from some of you gentlemen regarding a used ukulele I picked up last week.

Here it is in a nutshell. I found what I thought to be an awesome deal on an 8 string Uke. Brought it home and the action seem a little hard/high for me. Got some help on this great forum and was directed to "Island Guitars" here in Honolulu to see if they could help possibly to set up my uke and lower the action a little.

I went in and saw Peter, who by the way was a very professional and nice guy (so this post is not meant to bash or bad name them). Peter literally looked at the uke for 5-10 seconds and gave it back to me and told me he can't help me with it. He said that the neck was bowed and it would need to be taken off and reset and it would need a re-fret.

Now I am not a professional player, I am just trying to get back into playing after years of having not owned a uke. So I was just looking for any kind of help at all. I asked him if there was anything else he could to, to which he replied "sorry". Peter then told me that it would not be worth the money to fix and that I may as well buy a new ukulele. So I asked him for a set of new strings. He told me he has 1 set left. I asked him which brand they were and he told me "Oh the regular black one's". This is the point were the disappointment REALLY set in. I saw the were "Hilo" brand and figured they would be okay to try out as I've heard decent things about this brand.

That just didn't sit well with me that my new/used uke was hopeless as I just spent $300 to buy it. I got home and sanded off about 1 mm from the saddle and restrung the Uke. There was an immediate difference in the action. The strings I'm sure are softer but the action was definitely lowered at the 12th fret.

1st - the saddle sits real loose in the bridge so I'm wondering if I should get a new one.

2nd - There's about 2mm of the saddle sticking up above the bridge and I read somewhere that ideally you'd want atleast 3mm. Is this a problem?

3rd - right now the action seems correct at the nut, when I bar the 3rd fret, I can slide a business card between the first fret and strings and there is a decent amount of friction. At the 12th fret, as best I can measure, the strings are about 4 mm off of the fret or 2.5 16th (not quite 3/16). Is this a good/normal range?

4th - From what I see I can probably sand down the top of the bridge on both sides of the saddle a little thus allowing me to bring the saddle down a little more, but I'm not sure if that is safe or will adversely affect the sound. If I do this, the saddle will be a total of roughly 5mm high with roughly 3mm sitting in the bridge and 2mm sticking out. Right now its about 6mm, with 4mm in the bridge and 2mm sticking out above it.

Here are some pictures that may give you a better idea, any help or opinions would be awesome, thanks in advance!!!!!

20140227_072243_zpsf8f800a9.jpg

20140227_072309_zpsebb05f0e.jpg

20140227_072343_zpsd5003464.jpg

20140227_072644_zpsb1fe7a16.jpg

Last edited:
Aloha LeeR,

Sorry to hear that things didn't go as planned with the gang over at Island Guitars. I'm sure they meant well. There are a few excellent people you could go to on Oahu for a repair or adjustment project. Some of them are more seasoned than others (ex. if you needed a full restoration with the top removed, the neck leveled, etc. so you may want to get a couple of opinions before you decide on which guy would be appropriate for your repair and with a particular budget in mind. (This is probably what Peter was trying to communicate although it could have been done in a different way.)

Try these guys:

Anthony's Guitars
http://anthonysguitars.com

Guitar Smith
https://plus.google.com/104938055345136831569/about?gl=us&hl=en
1265 Kuuna St Kailua, HI 96734
(808) 263-2358

Kilin Reece
http://musicalinstrumentrepairhawaii.com

These guys specialize in this sort of stuff and I'm sure would be able to provide you with a bit more insight on what needs to be done for you. At the very least, it's always best to get a couple of opinions.

hope this helps,
Shawn Y.

http://ukulelefriend.com

Here it is in a nutshell. I found what I thought to be an awesome deal on an 8 string Uke. Brought it home and the action seem a little hard/high for me. Got some help here and was directed to "Island Guitars" here in Honolulu to see if they could help possibly set up and lower the action a little.

I went in and saw Peter, who by the way was a very professional and nice guy (so this post is not meant to bash or bad name them). But he literally looked at the uke for 5-10 seconds and gave it back to me and told me he can't help me with it. Peter said that the neck was bowed and it would need to be reset and it would need a re-fret.

Now I am no professional player and am just trying to get back into playing after years of having not owned a uke. So I was just looking for any kind of help at all. I asked him if there was anything else he could to, to which he replied "sorry". Peter then told me that it would not be worth the money to fix and that I may as well buy a new ukulele. So I asked him for a set of new strings. He told me he has 1 set left. I asked him which brand they were and he told me "Oh the regular black one's". This is the point were the disappointment REALLY set in. I saw the were "Hilo" brand and figured they would be okay to try out as I've heard decent things about this brand.

That just didn't sit well with me as I just spent $300 on this Uke. I got home and sanded off about 1 mm from the saddle and restrung the Uke. There was an immediate difference in the action. The strings I'm sure are softer but the action was definitely lowered at the 12th fret.

3rd - right now the action seems correct at the nut, when I bar the 3rd fret, I can slide a business card between the first fret and strings and there is a decent amount of friction. At the 12th fret, as best I can measure, the strings are about 4 mm off of the fret or 2.5 16th (not quite 3/16. Is this a good/normal range?

4th - From what I see I can probably sand down the to of the bridge on both sides of the saddle a little thus allowing me to bring the saddle down a little more, but I'm not sure if that is safe or will adversely affect the sound. If I do that the saddle will be a total of roughly 5mm high with roughly 3mm sitting in the bridge and 2mm sticking out. Right now its about 6mm with 4mm in the bridge and 2mm sticking out above it.

Aloha LeeR,

Not sure what happened to my earlier reply so here it goes again. Hope this helps.

Sorry to hear that your experience was less than informative/pleasurable with the guys over at Island Guitars. I'm sure they meant well.

There are people here on Oahu that specialize in this sort of stuff that would be happy to take on the project or at least provide you with a second or third opinion (or even assist with making a snug-fit saddle if that was all that was needed).

There are guys who love the challenge of restoration work and others who prefer to steer clear of this sort of stuff and my inkling is that Island Guitars would prefer to steer clear of these sorts of requests if at all possible. You might want to try contacting a couple of the guys below. They enjoy challenges like this and can provide you with some insight that might add additional clarity to the situation for you.

Kilin Reece
http://musicalinstrumentrepairhawaii.com

Guitar Smith
1265 Kuuna St Kailua, HI 96734
(808) 263-2358

Anthony's Guitars
http://anthonysguitars.com

It might be best to schedule for a brief appointment and inquire at a couple of places at what the best approach might be given the work needed to be done and your budget. There may be a happy medium somewhere in between that would work best without having to pull the fretboard and level the neck, etc.

all the very best,
Shawn Y.

Last edited:
Hey Shawn, thanks for the input, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I just dropped off my uke with Kilin, super cool guy! He basically said that there is some bow but it's not too bad. He's gonna make some adjustments at the nut and saddle and it should be good to go.

I'll post back in a few hours with an update!

Ok, so here's my update....

WOW what a difference!!!! Kilin REALLY made my uke feel 100 times better! My expectations weren't to high but they have been FAR exceeded!

First off, thanks again Shawn, solid recommendation! As for Kilin, I highly advise anyone with any type of ukulele/guitar problem to give him a call. He was super cool and easy to work with. He took the time to actually talk to me and explain things. He was quick and very VERY fair in his pricing!

I'm extremely pleased with the outcome and I look forward to years of playing on my used but like brand new now ukulele!!

What did he do? How did he address the saddle issue? Where does the action sit now? :confused:

He brought down both the saddle and nut. There really wasn't an issue with the saddle though. Made a world of difference! I'm not sure where the action sits now. I'll measure it when I go home.

Last edited:
Congrats! Is UU a great place or what

Aloha LeeR,

Glad that Kilin could help. I've got to say, he's definitely one of the best on the island! Especially if there are any vintage Martin uke lovers out there. Kilin is amazing with all sorts of restorations and often times it's knowing how to address the various finishes used on ukes that is one of the greatest challenges. With regards to Martin repairs in particular, he'll not only to get the instrument up and running structurally, but also in terms of matching stains. That's a very difficult thing to do and Martin was notorious for staining it's vintage mahogany ukes. Over time the stains that Martin used tended to vary in color, intensity, and shading. He's top notch on getting that exact match for you.

Happy to hear that you're strumming away!
Shawn Y.

Ok, so here's my update....

WOW what a difference!!!! Kilin REALLY made my uke feel 100 times better! My expectations weren't to high but they have been FAR exceeded!

First off, thanks again Shawn, solid recommendation! As for Kilin, I highly advise anyone with any type of ukulele/guitar problem to give him a call. He was super cool and easy to work with. He took the time to actually talk to me and explain things. He was quick and very VERY fair in his pricing!

I'm extremely pleased with the outcome and I look forward to years of playing on my used but like brand new now ukulele!!

Top Bottom