End Of Year Extravaganza II - Nominations So Far :deadhorse:

redpaul1

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Voting is supposed to start in Season 107 and run to the end of Season 109

However, you can see below the state of nominations so far - which is dismal.

So far only two people have put forward any nominations for Seasonista Of The Year, and one person has seconded any of these nominations:
12819935394_5db75a1d23_o.png

Seasonista Of The Year Nominations.

So far only 8 people have put forward nominations for Video Of The Year, and only about 3 or 4 nominations have been seconded. There have been no nominations from the last 7 Seasons of Year II:
12819599253_24b8e98a49_o.png

Video Of The Year Nominations.

It appears evident also from the number of 'views' the 'Extravaganza' pages have received, (200 for the sticky at the top of this forum as compared to 7,500 for the Season just gone), that no-one in fact appears particularly interested in continuing with this award ceremony.

Last November, when (austin1) first posted that she would be unable to continue with the end of year Season's award ceremony, a great many people expressed their desire that this tradition continue, as I result of which I offered to take on the task, in order to give back something to the Seasonista community, from which I've taken so much inspiration.

I then spent around two weeks soliciting opinions on the best way to carry this event forward. I settled on a process that I hoped would give every Season and every contributor to every Season, a fair crack of the whip at getting nominated; a process also that addressed everyone's concerns (which were both loud and varied, and which further indicated interest), about being able to nominate and vote for an award.

I am very grateful to bonesigh, electrauke, eugene ukulele, frisbee fred, librainian, mattydee, ukecan1, ukuloonie and we tigers for their support in taking the time to make and second nominations.

I do not however propose to continue in the face of apparent overwhelming indifference amongst the vast majority of the Seasonista community toward this event.

So this is one final appeal for nominations, in particular for the Seasonista of the Year awards. Otherwise, I'm just going to have to walk away from this. I can't see any point in flogging a dead horse.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much participation there was in all of this last year -- you'd have to talk to Tina (Austin1) for that. But I suspect it was probably similar. My recollection, though, was that it was all done by PM. I wonder if the public nature of the nominations is putting some people off, so as not to seem to un-aloha in singling out some performances over others. I also wonder if the sheer breadth of the seasons this year hasn't overwhelmed a few of us as well. In that first year, there were so many fewer entries per season that it was easier to coalesce around certain performances.

Whatever you decide, thanks for all the work you've put in thus far.

Well done on all your hard work Paul.
I know from a personal perspective I just found it too overwhelming to go through each season to pick out nominations.
My preference would have been just to send you my votes for each category without having to watch tons of videos first.
It certainly wasn't indifference that stopped me contributing to the voting. It was just that it all seemed a bit too complex for my liking.
Regards
Dave.

I'd also like to give a shout out to Paul for setting this all up. Plus, thank you to, electrauke, eugene ukulele, frisbee fred, librainian, mattydee, ukecan1, ukuloonie and we tigers for taking the time to nominate for I know it was very time consuming. I would have done more but the amount of videos this past year is overwhelming! I hope it works out in the end :)

I was only able to work through a couple of the cycles. I would hate to see it die on the vine and am willing to devote some more time to the other threads if anyone else is game but there does need to be wider participation for it to be meaningful. Paul, perhaps it's tilting at windmills at this point but I would like to hear if anyone else is willing to give it a go.

i'm really sorry i didn't chip in, but i found the nominating and seconding process all a bit complex - i'm probably just a bit thick, i'm sorry.

for what it's worth, i personally wonder if it might work easier for everyone - host of this process included? - if we just had the list of categories, and could just PM the host with our choice for each one we felt qualified to vote on - as a relative newbie i don't know the seasons before i got here well enough to really vote on them

then the host just has to count up the votes, rather than manage a nominations and seconding procedure.

just a thought

I would definitely find it easier if I could sit down in one go and get all my voting done. Perhaps that's a way to go? Big shout out for all the time and effort being put in here though, I can really understand how frustrating it must be for you.

I haven't participated because its way too time consuming sifting through these entries.
I appreciate your sentiment and time in carrying on the baton with this Paul but the whole thing seems a mammoth task for yourself and Seasonistas with not enough time on their hands.

Maybe the way forward in the future is to nominate on a monthly basis and collate that information at the end of year for final and overall nominations .........a kinda 'nominate as we go' rather than in bulk which is obviously a daunting task all round it appears?

Last edited:
First off, apologies I haven't been around to be supportive/nominate people. I have less than three weeks to finish my thesis and "freaking out" is a bit of an understatement.

Second, Paul, I am fiendishly jealous of your organizational skills. Holy spreadsheets Batman, you are awesome.

Third, for comparative purposes: last year, participation was actually quite high. I'm going to attribute this to a two main things: 1) EOY Extravaganza was new and shiny; 2) The voting system (might--but only might) have been slightly easier on participants. Instead of the nominating and seconding that has to be repeated within a given time frame, I just said "send me all your favorite videos in all the categories." Some people sent 1 video per category. Some sent 10 per category. Some sent videos for some categories and not others. Everyone had their favorites that stuck out in their mind, but virtually no one knew what seasons their favorites had taken place in, so I got a lot of "This person, this song! This theme? Maybe? No idea what number," and I had to go trolling youtube accounts to find them. Ultimately, it was far more chaotic than your method and I had to do a lot more scratch-pad tallying, but perhaps (since we're at a relatively late stage in the game) it might not be a bad idea to revert to that. Maybe you can open up the floor to free-for-all voting by PM, all favorites, all categories? Ultimately, there's no "perfect" method so you just have to go with what makes the most sense to you--it's 100% your decision and I know no matter what, it's going to be amazing.

Whatever you decide to do, I for one am hugely glad to see the EOY Extravaganza continuing on. Not just because I invented it, but just because it's really fun looking over all the awesomeness of the last year. Thank you for all the work you've put in, you're amazing. As is your spread-sheeting ability. Seriously, teach me your ways.

Last edited:
As many of you have probably noticed I have not been around much the past few months. It’s been a rather difficult time for me, for a variety of reasons, and I’ve been glad to keep in touch a bit on Facebook (and honestly, I don’t like Facebook, so I’ve obviously been desperate ;)). I, too, found the nominating process confusing, but that is due only to my current state of overwhelmed-ness. I did not take the time to break it down, nor to write to Paul for clarification. I think where I got confused was when to nominate what (certain Seasons in certain weeks). I think this was brilliant in that it meant the beginning of the year got as much recognition as the end, which often doesn’t happen, but when I missed the first week I just got lost and gave up. I really feel terrible about this.

I certainly apologize for my lack of participation, but… I’m afraid I still don’t understand how to participate going forward, or even if this still an option. Has the boat sailed? If I can still climb on board, how might I do that?

I'm in the "too daunting a task" category too. And I also think a running "best of / most original / best self-penned / most fun..... this season for me was..." structure would make this task easier. It's so much less hassle to comment when its all fresh in the mind, rather than having to listen to a whole series of seasons again to remember which songs blew you out of the water. Plus, let's be honest, with the success of the seasons it is now becoming a major task just to keep up with each season and when you have a busy week (like I have just had) it is almost impossible to catch every single entry... or even a few entries by people who you look forward to hearing every week!!!

So we need something that is a lot more simple.
That doesn't take too much time to go through all the entries of an entire year
and has a short turnaround.

instead of all of us going through the year.
Why don't each of us Submitt a video that we like of our own to the list.
According to Fun/Best/New person of year. most memorable.
Each Seasonista chooses there own vid to submit and
we take a vote on it via the p.m. to an individual
each seasonista has one vote per category ?

Last edited:

...y u so smart?

I'm obviously the only one, but I'm not getting this, either. Do you mean we submit one of our own videos, or we submit one we like by someone else, or... see, it's me being stupid, yet again. I think I should probably sit this out. In my defense, though, I do understand the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences voting rules, and the Electoral College. Okay, not the Electoral College.

I want to commend Paul, though, for having a great vision for the nominations. As I said before, it so often happens that the good stuff from early in the year gets overlooked, and this was a very good solution. I think it just got to be daunting when we starting having over 100 videos a lot of weeks. (I remember hosting the first season that hit 100 entries, and after that it happened fairly regularly -- and that was starting in July.)

I hope this hasn't been too frustrating for you, Paul. We all really appreciate all the work you've put into it.

We submit our own Video for a Category, the best one that we personally like.

only one video for a Category.

The Seasonistas then vote on the video via poll or P.m to somebody.
It cuts out all the searching for everybody to look through a years worth of videos

The onus is on the individual to enter the video for the Year end extravaganza

We give it a two week deadline for the individuals to submit videos to the thread.
Then create another thread for polling of the themes. which lasts only one week.
Then at the end we have our results.

Just an idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom