What would YOU buy? $100 credit for online music retailer.

King David

Reaction score
Heya, well not long ago someone created a thread asking if you had $10 credit what would you buy from an online music retailer(musiciansfriend, guitarcenter, george's..etc).

I thought it was interesting and would like to continue this discussion but this time, if you had $100 credit to an online music retailer what would YOU buy?

The updated 2013 Yamaha GL1 guitalele with tobacco sunburst finish is tempting!

Last edited:
What would YOU buy? $100 credit for online music retailer.

I'd be stupid and buy a thousand dollar ukulele.

Definitely not a uke. Probably some strings and a case.

Shure or Sennheiser mic
Hercules slant mic stand
Hercules folding music stand
Or use it towards a Roland AC/33

Maybe a uke mic and amp?
Rocksmith 2014? Sad it doesn't have a ukulele mode.
Oh forgot. A meinl slap top cajon! Tried one last week at GC and the kick drum, though quiet is very clean.

Last edited:
Hawaii Music Supply is an online music retailer (theukulelesite.com). If I had a $100 credit for HMS, I'd buy $100 worth of inexpensive ukulele(s) to give away.

an Islander MC-4...sure I'd have to throw in a few more bucks, but wanting another laminate to have handy.

Depends on the retailer, if it's a good one who does setups, I would get an inexpensive tenor (like a solid top/laminate back and sides). Otherwise, I'd get a case, strings, polishing cloth, maybe an amp?

I'd throw in another $50 and buy a Mi-Si Trio Ukulele pickup for my Pono Tenor.

Regards,
Bill

Personally knowing you David, I would buy the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Cherub-WCP-60G-Acoustic-Guitar-Pickup/dp/B004UJO41S

...to clip on the headstocks of your fine ukulele.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behring...Recording-Preamp-DI-Box-103385159-i2547754.gc

...to match the impedance to the amplifier for the best amplified acoustic sound.

...and spend the rest to enjoy life :)

Yes, thanks to those who actually posted what they'd buy all good so far!

Ricdoug since our last exchange I've actually accumulated the ADI preamp as well as an active pickup :). Both good choices that can't be beat if needed.

My initial post was to get the Yamaha GL1 with new model finish, but truthfully I don't NEED another instrument to practice on at the moment. So without further ado:

$100 store credit options:
1) Year's supply+ aka $100 worth of Humidipak humidifier systems & humidifiers for my instruments here in the cold.
2) Upgrade my flimsy gigbag for my one uke that doesn't need humidification, to the Gator Commander tenor series gigbag($69).
3) Get my laminate UBASS a nice hardshell case($100), however these are new to the market and most retailers don't stock them
4) Boss FS-6 footswitch(~$60) for my boss looper pedal.
OR
5) Be a bad boy and chip in $100 more to get a small bat. op. acoustic amplifier(Roland Mobile AC, Yamaha THR5A??)

Last edited:
Either

1. I'd save it to use in order to buy gifts as the prizes should I ever be the host of one of the SEASONS Contests here on UU

or

2. I'd get 2 Lanikai LU21P Soprano Pineapple ukes with padded gig bags and Aquila Nylguts for each, from Musicians's Friend for $39 ea., and after doing whatever setup is necessary I'd give them as gifts to my 9 yr old neice, and 7 yr old nephew

or

3. I'd buy a Luna Tattoo Pineapple Soprano from HMS for $89 for myself

or

4. I'd get the Apogee JAM iOS audio interface from B&H Photo for $99

I just cant decide. I guess it depends upon moon phase...

-Booli

I'd throw in another $50 and buy a Mi-Si Trio Ukulele pickup for my Pono Tenor.

Regards,
Bill

(slightly off topic, but I post this here to benefit everyone, instead of sending this info via PM)

Right now you can get the MiiSi Acoustic Trio pickup from Mainland Ukes for $109 and from Kala's amazon storefront for $120 right now, and I have previously bought 2 from each and they are very nice and work well. I am very happy with them. I have successfully installed this pickup in 4 of my instruments now.

Of course, this means you would install it yourself, which involves drilling/reaming 3 holes in your uke:

one 1/2" hole in the tail-block for the output jack,

and one 1/8" hole at each end of the saddle slot, at a 45 degree angle to the surface of the saddle slot, under the saddle for the pickup ribbon wire.

and you might have to shave about 1/64" to 3/32" from the bottom of your saddle to maintain the previous saddle height and action.

There is a youtube video with Joe Souza from Kanile'a and Aldrine that is a 'Uke Minute', #69, where they show a variation of the installation procedure that you can see here. And another person doing an different, but similar installation here.

N. B.: that if you do note drill both holes in the saddle slot, and put about 1/4" of the end of the ribbon into the far end hole, you will not extend enough of the sweet spot of the pickup ribbon wire under the saddle and will not have a balanced sound for all 4 strings. (the end of the pickup ribbon wire is kind of dead and not as sensitive as it is after about 1/2" past the tip of the pickup ribbon wire)

Otherwise, if you can not, or do not want to do the 20 minute installation yourself, you can always bring it to a luthier at additional cost.

Top Bottom