Look at what i made tonight...

WOW! That's awesome!

I need to build like 3 of those immediately!

Did you design it yourself, or was it from an instructable?

Please share ...

Thanks,

Booli

You know. I just made it on a whim... I didn't have any plans. I saw similar ones for Guitars, and I thought I needed that too. So I went to the hardware store, designed it in my mind while I was standing there in the plumbing department.

I could try to write it up if that would help...

Three of my ukuleles just cracked because I just looked at those sitting in front of a fireplace. Awesome idea mine would need a sprinkler or misting system I believe.

~AL~

You filled the pipes with sand or anything to weigh it down? Just thinking that it can't be very heavy, and might tip over.

You filled the pipes with sand or anything to weigh it down? Just thinking that it can't be very heavy, and might tip over.

A friend of mine made a stand very similar to that last year, and he also has five ukes. He didn't fill it with anything, and he's never complained of it tipping over. Of course, he doesn't have any kids or animals in the house. But, if it were me, and I had small children or animals, this wouldn't be my choice of a way to store my uke collection either. Since I have both, my ukes are stored in their cases.

Still, that is a very nice rack that is both cheap and very functional.

You know. I just made it on a whim... I didn't have any plans. I saw similar ones for Guitars, and I thought I needed that too. So I went to the hardware store, designed it in my mind while I was standing there in the plumbing department.

I could try to write it up if that would help...

ha ha - I've done something like that too, but a little different, while actually going to the store with purpose to buy something else, at Home Depot or Lowes and you see something out of the corner of your eye, and in a moment of inspiration you've now got like $100 worth of 'parts' in your cart for some new 'project', and all the items are going to be used for something other than their originally designed purpose, and the sales person just shakes their head as you walk past them...

Be careful with schedule 40 PVC tubing for structural items that have bendy stress. I used some 2" PVC to build a ribbed frame for an outdoor structure to be covered with a tarp, it was cheap and worked great, until the temp dropped below freezing, and I had no idea how brittle PVC can be, and due to the weight of the snow and the cold, and the bendy stress (did I mention it was a ribbed arch-structure) several 'ribs' just clean snapped at the stress point in the radius of the bend...

picture an 8ft square frame on the ground, with an 8 ft length of PVC as an arched 'rib' over the top similar to the outdoor farm equipment enclosures they sell, and these 'ribs' are spaced about every foot or so, and bonded to the frame with T joints using the PVC cement, and the tops are just tied together with a woven rope so that they do not spread too far apart, and then once this sort of half-pipe is constructed, it was staked to the ground and then covered with tarps that were also staked, and then a giant fishing net over the whole thing which was with each corner tied to four 8"x8"x16" concrete cinder blocks....fer sure it wont blow away, but I never figured that it would collapse.....(reminds me of that web site: "There I Fixed It")

However, if you are only going to prop up a few instruments, and it's indoors, you will not have this problem...

I remember back in high school a friend made his own pair of nunchucks with 14" lengths of PVC and some rope, but he filled the PVC with a cement mix, and it was all fun and games until he broke his own nose with the crazy things that he could not control because they were too heavy for him, he was SO MAD, but it was SO funny at the time...:(

Excellent...and easy to extend when needed

BK,
you may want to put a tie between the feet to stop them spreading. That would also reduce the leverage ont the top horizontal bar.
Maybe put an upsweep on the arms by using a heat gun and bending?
Just looked at that again, is it copper pipe and not poly pipe?
h

Nicely don BK.
my design skills are limeted to a blunt pencil and the bag of an envelope. (Moved on from the back of a fag packet!)

I love the idea, the only issue i can see is that T at the top of the two diagonal legs. It requires an angled T that is not a 90*, 60* or 75* perhaps? Can you buy those off the shelf, not sure?
Bill

Maybe set the legs at 90 degrees to each other, then fasten them at the top with a 90 degree elbow. Then it's just a case of using 2 t-junctions and a bend or 4 T's and a straight piece of pipe with some baffle.

I'll model it later. The reason I model stuff like this is, I can't draw to save my life, so this is the best way for me to get stuff out of my head and onto "paper". It also helps show up errors in design.

Ive seen these or similar on YouTube...the bit I dont see on this one is any UPturns on the ends of the 2 pegs the Uke sits on...to stop it falling off.

The design is good, but there is a small problem. The foam needs to be closed cell foam. Not easy to find. Open cell foam will eat some finishes.
I don't want you to damage your ukes.
I wrap my stuff like that in carpet.

Top Bottom