Second Ukulele

Graham McDonald

Reaction score
A concert size. Body from Tulip Satinwood, a tree from the north coast of NSW and one of Australia's great tonewoods (unfortunately essentially unobtainable). Bolt-on neck from Queensland maple, ebony fretboard and Peghead tuners. Ivoroid binding and rosette.

cheers

Concert_1.jpgConcert_2.jpgConcert_3.jpgConcert_4.jpg

Lovely. I really like the white rosette with the strings and white binding. Also really like the markers on the edge.
Anne Flynn
P.S. - I picked out some tulip wood at a wood store once, and the owner looked at my husband and said - she just picked out the most expensive wood in the store.

Very nice work.

Sweet looking uke.

How's she sound? Where does tulip wood fall on the spectrum? Bright-ish?

The Tulip Satinwood is about the same weight as Koa. I am still feeling my way with ukes and not quite sure what I want them to sound like as yet. I have come around to the opinion that stringed instruments should be as light as possible, so that is the approach I am taking with the ukes. We will see what happens after a few more, but I am having fun.

cheers

I like the proportion of the rosette on the soundhole and the contrast of the ebony to the lighter wood. Congratulations!

:agree: What dkcrown said

Thank you all for the kind words. The rosette is cut out of a chunk of 1/4" thick ivoroid I got years ago, A bit tricky machining it down to size, as I am always worried about it getting too hot and bursting into flame!

cheers

Tulip satinwood is indeed a nice wood- i love it after a few years- deep golden.
I brought some over from Gilet to Colorado :)

Top Bottom