Falsetto Help!

davoomac

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hey all you singers! I thought there should be a few more topics in here that people can benefit from.

First of all what is falsetto?
How does it differ between men and women?
What is the best way to practice falsetto?
How do I sing Falsetto like in the traditional hawaiian songs?

I love watching the falsetto competition on TV. Speaking of Falsetto, Aunty Genoa Keawe just died today. RIP aunty.

lol thanks for the link. It wouldn't be much of a discussion forum if we just gave links to wikipedia though.;)

true, but it was either that or just paraphrasing the heck out of the info i found on wikipedia then taking all the credit. haha!

true, but it was either that or just paraphrasing the heck out of the info i found on wikipedia then taking all the credit. haha!

hehe true. thanks for the link though. sometimes i forget that wikipedia has articles on everything.

Hey Davoomac,
here is an excellent video of Falsetto. Do this....just start the video, don't watch it...just listen to it first. After its done, go back and watch it. This guy is from Maui. I wish I was even a tiny bit good as him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEwI8TMavCY

I sing some falsetto myself but nowhere close to this guy. Falsetto is being able to sing above the normal vocal range. Men and Women both sing falsetto, but for men, I think its a little more difficult due to most men dont have a higher picthed voice than women. With singing falsetto, you want to be able to transition from the normal vocal range all the way up to the "upper stratosphere" smoothly with no strain or break. This guy in the video said he started to listen and copy the styles of Classic Falsetto singers.

I love watching the falsetto competition on TV. Speaking of Falsetto, Aunty Genoa Keawe just died today. RIP aunty.

yes she was a great legend
may she rest in peace

what falsetto is
its an extra set of range in our voice
it can be hard to train
but once it is trained well it opens up a bunch of songs that would normaly be out of your range

Everyone can sing falsetto, it just takes alot of practice to build that register. Another factor that makes a big difference is the point at which your falsetto register kicks in. For me, since I'm a verdi baritone, my falsetto (ha'i) kicks in at about E (above middle C). The more beautiful falsetto singers are natural tenors, and they have falsetto ranges that start at High A.

You can tell the differences too, try listening to Darren Benetiz for example, he's a tenor with a very high falsetto. But then there's Keali'i Reichel, who is a baritone, and his falsetto is VERY low. So falsetto is more of how well you develop your register. It takes ALOT of practice to get that rich tone, but in my opinion, anyone can do it.

Top Bottom