What does “Voice, range: B3-F5,” mean?

SonSprinter

Reaction score
What does “Voice, range: B3-F5,” mean? I find this term describing the melody/voice range on the sheet music to Steven Curtish Chapman’s “I Will Be Here” on MusicNotes.com.

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdFPE.asp?ppn=MN0040956&

I figure that the “B3” is the Bb on the top string if you have a low g on the ukulele. I presume that the “F5” is the F on the eighth fret of the ukulele. So F4 must me the second string (e string) first fret, right?

C3 is the middle C on a piano, the C between the bass and treble clefs. It's the open C string note. The notes go up from there. B3 would be the 4th fret on a low G string. You'll need 20 frets to reach F5 on your A string. Few people can sing that high.

NotesHelp.jpg

Some systems give a different number to middle C, such as C4. In that case, B3 would be below what a soprano/concert/tenor uke can play, even with low G. And F5 would be the 8th fret on the A string.

Last edited:
Given the first page of the music, C4 is middle C, with B one half step below and F5 being an octave and a fifth (less one half step) above. In other words, the high F is a fairly high but normal tenor note with the low B being down the baritone to bass range.

On the uke, the low B would be 4th fret of the low G string and the high F would be 8th fret on the 'a' string - as you said.

What the others have said but also - this is really something that doesn't mean much to us as instrumentalists. Vocalists usually know their range and this notation is sometimes found on sheet music so a vocalist can tell at a glance if the entire piece is within their range as written. If it is not, they can also easily tell how many steps the piece would need to be transposed to bring it within their range.

John

Sorry to take so long to get back to this. Thank you so very much for posting.

So based on the syntax of “www.musicnotes.com” ...

C4 is the c below the treble clef and is the open c string (second from top string).
E4 is the open e string (second from the bottom string).
B4 is the second fret on the bottom string.
C5 is the third fret on the bottom string.

Hence the range of the ukulele, according to the syntax of "www.musicnotes.com,” the low range of the ukulele is C4 (without the low g), and G3 (with the low g), right?

Yes, you got it. Below is usually how I visualize it, but my first intro to music was piano. YMMV
image.jpg

"C4 is the c below the treble clef and is the open c string (second from top string).
E4 is the open e string (second from the bottom string).
B4 is the second fret on the bottom string.
C5 is the third fret on the bottom string."

This is 180 degrees wrong in describing top from bottom strings. Top is the highest note string, "A", bottom is the lowest "G" or on a re-entrant it's that octave "G". Yes, I know...the top string is closest to the floor, but it's not the physical position, it's based on the highest note to lowest.

Top Bottom