what size Martin fluoro strings for Kamaka Ohta-San?

janeray1940

Reaction score
Test-driving an Ohta-san soon and I wanted to try it out with my strings of choice (Martin fluoros) rather than the black nylon strings it has from the factory.

But the Ohta-San has a 15 15/16" scale length, which puts it right between a concert and a tenor.

Martin fluoros are sold in two sizes: Soprano/Concert, and Tenor.

I've used (and like) both on my Kamaka Concert, but I own it outright and am aware there's a risk of damage when I use tenor strings (not that there have been any signs of damage). As I don't (yet!) own the Ohta-San, I don't want to take chances.

So - am I living dangerously if I opt to put Martin tenor strings on the Ohta-San?

(This is like math. Math is hard!)

Last edited:
I don't think the tenors are that much heavier than the soprano / concert strings. You should be okay. Kamakas are very well built.

Now, I have to say, jealous as I will be, I hope you get that Ohta-San. You've been wanting one for a long time. Me too. Hey, does this mean I get the National?

Ya mean this National?? All yours :)

At this point I don't know for sure that I'm getting the Ohta-san - still thinking I'd rather have a spruce top, but at the same time I've got a bad feeling about buying an instrument sight unseen so it seems the thing to do will be to go for the local koa top one *if* it sounds all that different than my HF-2 and I like it. Doing a side by side comparison tomorrow I think.

And thanks re: the string advice.

Good luck with the test drive. Let us know what you think.

I'm really smitten with the spruce top... Even with the stock strings.

Love my cedar top Ohta San. Deep rich tones unlike any other.

Purchased from HMS after seeing and hearing Corey's video. Gorgeous to look at, unbelievable rich tones. Not disappointed at all when I received it. Of course, it will never be played like that again.:)

Sounded great even with stock strings. Then tried Aquila, also a nice sound. Soon will try Fremont blacklines, MT, low G.

Last edited:
I don't know if this will help you, but I used the Kamaka strings for my uke for some time and finally switched to Orcas (not made any more) with a non-wound low G. I bought concert size and they fit fine with plenty of string length. I had Kamaka make my uke for me a bit over a year ago and I choose the spruce top like the one they had in the store (factory). Love it and I was happy with the stock strings but I just like the look with all black and no wound string. At the factory they told me to just buy the concert size strings. Once I discovered how well I like the Orcas, I went back to store and bought the rest of the guy's supply -- 4 more packs. Good luck.

Good luck with the test drive. Let us know what you think.

I'm really smitten with the spruce top... Even with the stock strings.

The koa top sounds amazing with the stock strings (as did my Kamaka pineapple) - which is how I know it's a "good" one!

Love my cedar top Ohta San. Deep rich tones unlike any other.

Purchased from HMS after seeing and hearing Corey's video. Gorgeous to look at, unbelievable rich tones. Not disappointed at all when I received it. Of course, it will never be played like that again.:)

Sounded great even with stock strings. Then tried Aquila, also a nice sound. Soon will try Fremont blacklines, MT, low G.

Are you using concert strings, or tenor?

I don't know if this will help you, but I used the Kamaka strings for my uke for some time and finally switched to Orcas (not made any more) with a non-wound low G. I bought concert size and they fit fine with plenty of string length. I had Kamaka make my uke for me a bit over a year ago and I choose the spruce top like the one they had in the store (factory). Love it and I was happy with the stock strings but I just like the look with all black and no wound string. At the factory they told me to just buy the concert size strings. Once I discovered how well I like the Orcas, I went back to store and bought the rest of the guy's supply -- 4 more packs. Good luck.

Thanks! And what a bummer that the strings you like are no longer made. I stockpiled old-formula Aquilas when they phased them out, so I can relate!

If Martins came in a concert-specific size I'd go with that, but they only sell two sizes: Soprano/Concert, and Tenor. So I'm going to try both, but will start with the Soprano/Concerts since that's what I have on the HF-2 I'm comparing it to. If I do end up buying it, I've got a lot of string experiments to look forward to!

And you two just hit on the only online sources I'd consider if I decide to pass and hunt down a spruce or cedar top: HMS, or the factory itself. But since I tend to play every Kamaka that comes through the door at my local shop, I'm well aware that no two are alike, particularly when it comes to intonation which I'm pretty obsessive about (and my uke instructor even more so!). This particular one is near-perfect in that regard right off the shelf, so - thinking I should go for it.

You might be able to get Orcas strings from Jorma at Imua Ukulele. He uses them for his 'ukes and they're pretty good ('ukes & strings).

PS
I forgot to add that the stock strings Kamaka sells for the uke are their Soprano/Concert package with Low G. Those Orcas are fluorocarbon so I'd think those Martins would sound great.

In answer to your question, using concert strings on my Ohta San.

Happy to learn about the Ohta San specific strings!

Also looking forward to trying the Fremont Blackline, fluorocarbon with unwound low G.

Last edited:
So I strung it with Martin Soprano/Concert fluoros and it sounded and played great. I played it all afternoon, my two teachers played it, a couple of friends at the shop played it, and - of course it sounded better in all of their hands than in my less-skilled ones, but I liked playing it enough to put it on hold (with visitation rights) for 2 weeks while I make up my horrendously commitment-phobic mind. It's a very different sound than my HF-2 concert - really hard to say if it's "better" exactly but different enough that it doesn't feel redundant at all.

Attachments

• ea12e0a8a26a11e3a33912be01af682e_8.jpg
    ea12e0a8a26a11e3a33912be01af682e_8.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 53
That is a gorgeous ukulele. It is one that, most probably, you would never have to upgrade from again, dear Janeray1940/M. It is soooo delish.

Question, though: you already own Koa ukuleles, no? I forget if you own a spruce top or cedar top instrument. Maybe you do, and I have forgotten.

If all your ukes are mahogany or koa, do you want another koa-topped instrument? I don;t know. I'm just saying, something to consider. (Hey, at least one of your friends has to play the devil's advocate, it might as well be me. lol)

I have to say, and this is purely from my own experience and others may well disagree, but I find that my spruce or cedar topped instruments sound best for picking, my mahogany instruments sound best for strumming/percussive, and my koa instruments are somewhere in the middle (great for strumming and picking, but not the best at either). I think the Ohta-san is intended to be a soloist/picking/lead type instrument. As you know, it's available in other tops, too (just maybe not used at this instant).

It is a beautiful instrument, for sure. I almost bought a cedar topped (or was it spruce) Ohta-san, but someone outbid me on the Bay a while back.

Just trying to provide another angle of thinking. Cheers, and happy strumming (or picking). --Steve

Last edited:
That is a gorgeous ukulele. It is one that, most probably, you would never have to upgrade from again, dear Janeray1940/M. It is soooo delish.

Question, though: you already own Koa ukuleles, no? I forget if you own a spruce top or cedar top instrument. Maybe you do, and I have forgotten. I think the Ohta-san is intended to be a soloist/picking/lead type instrument. As you know, it's available in other tops, too (just maybe not used at this instant).

If all your ukes are mahogany or koa, do you want another koa instrument? I don;t know. I'm just saying, something to consider. (Hey, at least one of your friends has to play the devil's advocate, it might as well be me. lol)

I have to say, and this is purely from my own experience and others may well disagree, but I find that my spruce or cedar topped instruments sound best for picking, my mahogany instruments sound best for strumming/percussive, and my koa instruments are somewhere in the middle (great for strumming and picking, but not the best at either).

It is a beautiful instrument, for sure. I almost bought a cedar topped (or was it spruce) Ohta-san, but someone outbid me on the Bay a while back.

Cheers, and happy strumming (or picking). lol --Steve

Good memory, and thoughtful post. I actually don't own a spruce or cedar top instrument, and when this koak top Ohta-San first showed up, I figured I'd pass and hold out for a spruce top one. Especially after hearing the difference between koa top and spruce top when I was at NAMM (although "hearing" in that context leaves much to be desired!). But then I heard this one, in a quiet room, and started to change my mind. Especially after the string change yesterday.

I have three ukes, one mahogany and two koa. And while I love all three and they all have different purposes, if I had to pick one single favorite tonewood I'd say koa without question. My experience is actually the opposite from yours - my mahogany soprano is a fantastic lead/picking instrument but I don't really care for it for strumming. It has amazing sustain and clarity and that's all kind of wasted when doing a strum-along song. The koa ukes, on the other hand, have a little less sustain but seem better all-purpose instruments.

As for this particular Ohta-San - it's talking to me, what can I say. It's the first "pretty" ukulele I've ever been drawn to, so there's that, I'll admit it. Combine that with the fact that it's a nice price and it's here right now, ready for the taking, and... it just seems right. At least it did yesterday; I'm so fortunate to have a couple more weeks to revisit it and make up my mind.

Ha ha, "happy picking" doesn't quite sound as right as "happy strumming" does it? :)

Get off the stairs, jane ray! I'm such an enabler.

I'd ask Kamaka. If you don't want to do that for some reason, please try the concert strings first. At pitch, the concert strings will exert less tension on the instrument. Safer than trying the tenor strings in case they're the wrong choice.

(please edit you original post. I doubt the scale is 15 16/16")

Last edited:
I'd ask Kamaka. If you don't want to do that for some reason, please try the concert strings first. At pitch, the concert strings will exert less tension on the instrument. Safer than trying the tenor strings in case they're the wrong choice.

(please edit you original post. I doubt the scale is 15 16/16")

Good catch, my typo made a 1/16" difference :)

I went with the sop/concerts. While "ask Kamaka" was the first thought I had, I didn't really want to call them up and say that I wanted to hear the uke without the strings they ship them with - for reasons I may never understand, Kamaka stands by those black strings. Perhaps they're great for Hawaiian music, but as I play little to none of that, they are lost on me!

You can still call them anonymously and ask what strings (scale) they recommend. I'll bet they'd be happy to tell you. Hey, if you like, I'll call for you.

Top Bottom