fret wire replacement

NukeDOC

Retired Mod
Reaction score
ok so its not really ukulele related, but the essentials are the same... i think.

i want to replace the frets on a guitar i am restoring. is this an easy task? do i need any special tools for this or can i get away with a small flat head screwdriver and pry the fret wires off and then just pound in the new fret wires?

Its a job to outsource if its of any value, by the time you buy nippers wire hammers and press, rasps. You are better off sending it out. Now if you have three or more then it starts to make sense.

Its a job to outsource if its of any value, by the time you buy nippers wire hammers and press, rasps. You are better off sending it out. Now if you have three or more then it starts to make sense.
but mike, you know how much i like to mickey mouse my stuff. hahaha.

with some innovation, and the fact that i am very good with my hands and tools at hand, is it possible?

basically, ive got this guitar that i picked up off some kid for $35 (les paul copy). ripped it apart to replace the bridge and the pickups. had some spare tuners around so those went on. spraypainted the whole thing flat black. looks sick! going to rewire so that i only use one vol and one tone knob with the 3 way switch. dropped in my burstbucker pickups that were in my epiphone LP. i strung her up and she holds a tune. but the frets are just done. they need to go. but i refuse to pay more than what i spent on this guitar for any work to be done on her. right now, my replacement parts are still only going to cost me less than $50. my goal is cheap excellence. haha.

ill be very careful. and work slowly. i promise.

Top Bottom