NUD: Kamaka HF-4

Tube

Reaction score
attachment.php

Hawaii Music Supply did a good Job, concernig set up and sending it around half of the wourld.
It is very resonant. The voice is deep, rich and loud. I fear my singing is not loud enough anymore...
I think, I will try out unwound strings.

Love it! I love the Koa wood sound ... They did a great job sending mine to Toronto, ON ... 5 Time zones in 5 days via FedEX. Enjoy!

Very pretty Tube. I love the wavy grain. Unlike some others here, I always change out the Kamaka strings on my ukes. But I would stick with wound strings on 3 and 4. But that's just me. Enjoy! HMS is the best.

Congratulations! It's a beauty. Kamaka baritones are great.

Congrats, Tube. That's my dream Bari!

If you're thinking of an unwound set, check out Southcoast. (My fave is the unwound dGBE.)

Cheers.

The wounds provide a really nice sound on the uke and blend those low and mids together wonderfully. You will get a completely different sound going to unwound. You'll really notice the difference. (not better or worse, just a noticeable difference). You can play the uke quietly and hear yourself right? ;-) Seems so many folks these days have one style which is FULL VOLUME STRUM AS LOUD AS YOU CAN especially when playing in groups. If everyone played quietly they would hear themselves and others.

We did an amazing test with Uncle Kimo Hussey and it was amazing how well you could hear yourself extremely well with 20 people in a room if everyone backed off. You can have a fantastic sound and full sound without going full volume.

Enjoy that beauty!

Cheers

Nice! Is ukelele popular in Germany? It seems very popular in the UK, and I often wonder about other countries.

Thank you all!
By times jamming with about ten guitarists, I tend to strum hard nails...
The ukulele is quite popular in Germany, ukulelenclub.de has more than 4000 members.

I put unwound Worth Browns on mine. It took a few days for the strings to settle in but now the Kamaka baritone sounds great with them.

I put unwound Worth Browns on mine. It took a few days for the strings to settle in but now the Kamaka baritone sounds great with them.

How do you like the fourth string, John? I'm normally a fan of WBs, but I've heard the D is a bit floppy.

I like Alohi strings (wound 3 & 4) on mine. Although it sounded good in GCEA with SouthCoast linear lights, too.

How do you like the fourth string, John? I'm normally a fan of WBs, but I've heard the D is a bit floppy.

It's looser than a wound, for sure. I have never liked wound strings on ukes. They wear out too damn fast.
That's my uke preference, for now. I have lots of guitars with steel strings that I have no problem with.

Congrats....how did this turn into a discussion about strings? That's my dream uke too....as well as a trip to Hawaii to buy it!

That's a gorgeous ukulele. I love the wavy grain. Congrats!

I have put on Living Water strings, dGBE reentrant tuning. I´m happy with the sound and the feeling of the strings. Made new nut and bridge inlay out of bone.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom