Fluke on tour?

Icelander53

Reaction score
I love my Flukes. Lots of others seem to love them too. Sound and playability etc. usually get high marks. Yet I don't seem to come across a lot of youtube vids or pros using them. I don't remember any in fact and I'd love to see some if they are out there. Links?

Can anyone clue me in to why this is? It's been buggin me.

For many pros, they are sponsored so they will gravitate to solid / customized makers. I think the main reason is that when someone new goes to a store, they see plastic and compared to the price, it seems expensive so beginners gravitate toward the cheaper models. As people get better, they want a solid top wood uke and a K brand as the next big jump. For sound and playability to low maintenance ratio, not too many better.

I just did an arrangement of mr bojangles and also reviewed the cricket violin. You can check them out on my youtube channel (see my sig).

For many pros, they are sponsored so they will gravitate to solid / customized makers. I think the main reason is that when someone new goes to a store, they see plastic and compared to the price, it seems expensive so beginners gravitate toward the cheaper models. As people get better, they want a solid top wood uke and a K brand as the next big jump. For sound and playability to low maintenance ratio, not too many better.

Well I just got one with the Rosewood fretboard and low G tuning and it sounds really nice. Once you put on all the extras you have a very nice instrument that sounds good. Why is no one using them on stage? It seems like there must be some stigma around the plastic body or the shape or something. I just never see it on youtube beyond a review or demo. It doesn't seem right somehow considering how nice they sound. I have five ukes and it's my favorite and I like it better than a Pono I bought and returned in favor of it.

Last edited:
I've used my tenor Fluke on a few of my videos, travel with it, and bring it to the local open mic and uke club (alternating with other instruments)

I've had it for nearly 2 years, and I really love it - it is mellow, and easy to play. I love the rosewood fretboard and Peghed tuners. I was lucky enough to find it as a "second" at Magic Fluke, where I ended up playing it for a couple of hours, and it left with me. (And I placed an order for the Firefly banjo uke at the same time.)

-Kurt​

Not talking about demos or reviews. I'm talking about playing it with original songs or cover songs or someone pulling one out on stage to play.

I'm in a bit of a niche market if you will (music minister), but you'd find me with a Flea. I've had other ukes, but none matched the playability, intonation and durability of the Flea. I'm not willing to invest in a K or other more expensive uke, because I know I'd worry about it more and play less. To me that defeats the purpose of a musical instrument. I don't have any videos yet; when I do, the Flea will be there, loud and proud as it were. :)

Somewhere on Youtube there is a video of Victoria Vox playing a Fluke on a plane. I also think, but don't quote me, the VV and Her Jumping Flea album had a Fluke on it. After that she was sponsored, so the FLuke kinda seemed to drop from sight. Not sure if she still has/plays one.

I agree, it's probably the shape and/or plastic body that puts touring "pros" off. For a purist, a Fluke/Flea is out there. I think there's an unspoken rule to promote the traditional uke shape, sound and materials. Good thing I'm no purist! I admit to being skeptical of gigging with the Flea at first - will they think it's a toy? But no one ever asked what it was made of. Sometimes I point out the plastic body, and people are surprised it's plastic. They just assume it's wood. Even other musicians don't ask about it; I've never heard a negative comment.

Both the shape and the sound. Based on my limited experience the fluke has a somehwat unique rounded sound based on the cavity. The flea sounds a bit more traditional. But you can't say they sound plastic.

Both Jim and Liz Beloff ONLY ever play the Fluke and Flea on stage.

Jim Beloff and his sister and her husband, Phyllis and Dale Webb started the Magic Fluke company, which makes all of these instruments, so you'd expect that he'd play them...

If you find videos of him after the founding of the company, showing him performing, you'll see this.

There's one video of him with Lyle Ritz, dont remember which song, but he's playing a Fluke...

I have video from the Morristown Ukulele Festival back in Aug 21 2013, that I shot with my iPhone of him performing a few songs, but it's not online as of now, but when he went up o the stage, there were 2-3 Flukes and 2-3 Fleas on the stage and some were played and some might have been as backups.

In the IT world, they call this 'eating your own dog food'.

If there's enough interest, I'll try to get the video online for others to see - let me know.

I'd enjoy seeing it.

I'll try to edit and upload it, if not tomorrow, hopefully by tuesday...there are like 5-7 discrete segments that I'd need to put together as one video so it's only a single file to upload to youtube...(James Hill, Anne Janelle (now James Hill's wife), and Victoria Vox are in the videos as well, and a few songs they all perform together)

I'll report back here when it's online :)

Top Bottom