New Uke player from Boerne, TX

ShyClare

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm new to the forum and to ukuleles in general. I sing and play guitar and a few weeks ago my singing friend handed over her ukulele for me to take home and try out. I immediately fell in love with learning to play this new instrument. I particularly enjoyed learning jazz chords and singing along with Dream and Little Dream of Me, Somewhere Over the Rainbow (original version), Dream Dream Dream (Everely Brothers).

I look forward to purchasing my first ukulele and learning more from this sweet instrument and from my fellow underground ukulele players.

Welcome, ShyClare! You've found the best uke site! Have fun deciding on your first uke, and be sure to "just ask" if you have any questions. Everyone will be happy to help.

Hi Clare welcome to UU from England, hope you get your uke soon and we see more of you.
Steve.

Welcome to UU, glad you joined us. The Texas Hill Country is one of my favorite places!

Do you know what uke you are going to buy? We love helping people spent their hard earned money on ukes. :)

Enjoy and keep us posted

Welcome to UU, glad you joined us. The Texas Hill Country is one of my favorite places!

Do you know what uke you are going to buy? We love helping people spent their hard earned money on ukes. :)

Enjoy and keep us posted

UASbP -- Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome by proxy! Maybe I can afford this after all… And welcome!

Thanks all for your warm welcomes! I have spent hours and hours over the past couple weeks, obsessing over the above question so any thoughts would be welcome. And yes, that hard earned money will be well spent, I'm sure, if I can just make up my mind.

I am looking for a uke with a magical sound—I'm thinking warm, mellow, and sweet. I'd like to sing with the songs I play, so looking for something that might complement. My voice has a warm tone and semi quiet, so I'd like to shy away from ukes that are loud and bright.

I'm thinking Ohana CK-35 or Mainland Mahogany Concert. Has anyone heard these two side by side? Or do you have any other suggestions.

Greetings and welcome Clare, glad you joined us. I was stationed in Del Rio for 3 years and sure miss proper Texas BBQ. That Ohana and Mainland are first cousins. Can't go wrong with either. Warm, mellow, sweet, sounds like you are describing solid mahogany, probably not with the Aquila strings that normally come on them. Good luck.

Yes, Texas BBQ's the best!

What strings would your recommend for Ohana's and Mainlands?

You should get lots of recommendations for great strings that give a warm, sweet sound on solid mahogany ukes. I have Ko'olau Alohis on my Pono, but Ko'olau Mahanos are warmer. Living Waters, Worth Browns, and more.

LOOOOVE Dream a Little Dream...such a fun song to play! Also love the Everly Brothers song. Now I'm going to have to work that one out...

Welcome!

Top Bottom