WTB: Guitalele

I've got the Yamaha and am very content with it. The problem with "small guitars" is often that the intonation is off in the first couple of frets. But that was not the case on the Yamaha. In terms of value for money I reckon it's a real bargain.

I wont sell you mine, but wanted to add:

+1 for the Yamaha GL-1.

I got one in December of 2012 from Musicians Friend on their 'stupid-deal-of-the-day' for only $69 shipped (regular price was $99), and with D'Addario EJ27N strings it's so easy to play and has a real sweet tone. It does sound 'smaller' than my full size classical guitar, but that is to be expected. However, I put a Mi-Si acoustic trio pickup in it, and MY OH MY! Plugged in to an amp or for recording it SOUNDS huge!

...and SO MUCH better than the surface transducer piezo I was using previously...

Sometimes the Mi-Si can have a bit of a peak in the 250hz-350hz bass frequency range, but for this instrument. it really balances the tone out, and make it sound like a larger bodied guitar.

Also, I should add, that this instrument is one of the reasons I moved over to the ukulele.

Good luck in finding one! The Yamaha is great, and eventually I'll probably upgrade to a Cordoba or Kanile'a version of this instrument, but for now, the Yamaha is a keeper.

Sorry I am not offering mine for sale, but wanted to offer some info to help you when you find one...

Glad to hear the positive comments on the Yamaha. As it turns out, my wife bought one for me for my birthday. I was about to buy one from a UU member and she said, "Hey...don't do that. I just got one for you yesterday". :)

Glad to hear the positive comments on the Yamaha. As it turns out, my wife bought one for me for my birthday. I was about to buy one from a UU member and she said, "Hey...don't do that. I just got one for you yesterday". :)
Hey, happy birthday! You have a really sweet wife. :)

Honestly, at only $99 brand new (and shipped from some vendors), you probably wouldn't have saved much finding one used here when you consider shipping.

I have the Yamaha. It's pretty well made and quite nice for what it is. Just don't expect the moon at its price point. At any rate, it's a good introduction to the size and there are nicer ones available if you decide you really like it.

My biggest complaint is that the fretboard feels cramped to me. While the neck is wider than a tenor uke, it has 6 strings instead of 4, so the strings are actually spaced closer together.

Doesn't seem to hamper some people, though. Here are a couple vids of Pepe Romero Sr. playing one his son made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ANVv1Uj98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHIIj4diuS4

P.S. The gig bag the Yamaha comes with is really thin and cheesy (with no shoulder strap), but at least it comes with one that will keep the dust off! The Yamaha will fit into most tenor cases, so if you already have a tenor with a nicer case, you can probably just swap cases when you're taking it out of the house.

My biggest complaint is that the fretboard feels cramped to me. While the neck is wider than a tenor uke, it has 6 strings instead of 4, so the strings are actually spaced closer together.

I've had this problem too, in that certain chord shapes are impossible past the 3rd fret due to my fat fingers, but that has forced me to explore alternate voicings of chords (which is good thing after being in a rut after playing for 35 yrs), and the closer fret spacing actually helps you to reach these notes that would simply be physically impossible (too far to stretch) on a full sized classical guitar.

P.S. The gig bag the Yamaha comes with is really thin and cheesy (with no shoulder strap), but at least it comes with one that will keep the dust off! The Yamaha will fit into most tenor cases, so if you already have a tenor with a nicer case, you can probably just swap cases when you're taking it out of the house.

This is very true. I found lots of conflicting information online prior to my purchase regarding the scale length.

I am happy to report that the Yamaha GL-1 fits perfectly into my TENOR Kala Uke Crazy polyfoam case. Depending where you look online, some places say it is concert, tenor or even baritone scale but nobody that I've seen makes a 'Guitalele case'.

The difference between the Yamaha GL-1 and my Kala tenor is that the lower bout of the Kala is about 1.5" wider, and as such is a snug fit in the case, but the GL-1 fits fine, so as itsme said, unless you need to take multiple tenors with you at the same time, you can probably re-use a case you already have.

Otherwise a tenor case should fit.

Eddy Finn also makes a very nice guitarlele. It has a three year warranty and comes with Aquila strings. It has a lot of body resonance and sustain. It is also $99.00

Eddy Finn also makes a very nice guitarlele. It has a three year warranty and comes with Aquila strings. It has a lot of body resonance and sustain. It is also $99.00

This is good to know - and news to me. I will be taking a look at their model. - Thanks for this info!

I'm not seeing the eddy finn guitalele's online. Are they very very new?

I am happy to report that the Yamaha GL-1 fits perfectly into my TENOR Kala Uke Crazy polyfoam case.
I have a Lanikai tenor polyfoam case (supposedly the same as the Uke Crazy) and I basically had to shoe-horn the GL-1 into it.

It did fit nicely into my tenor Oahu hardshell case, though. :)

Top Bottom