Do They Make Ukuleles With F Holes?

kuzuyan

Reaction score
I imagine that they do, but I've never seen one. Do they have a different sound than ukes with a standard sound hole?

Yes they do, I have a couple. I have a free day today, so I can make a couple sounds samples for you.

Kala makes three tenors with f hole. They retail for about $300. If you want higher quality and price look at Jazzbox ukuleles (Iwant one of these).
Cliff

:confused: ...well... it seems that I have sold my regular sound hole tenor ukes haha, so I am only left with my 8 string tenor that has a round sound hole. I'll use that then and I'll try not to play the octaves :p. but now I have a reason to get a new uke haha..anyways onto making those vids

That's cool to know! I've always liked how they looked on guitar and mandolin. I look forward to the sound samples.

I have this one, a resonator, which is pretty cool looking and sounding.

Big Rusty Reso #1.jpg

Kala makes three tenors with f hole. They retail for about $300. If you want higher quality and price look at Jazzbox ukuleles (Iwant one of these).
Cliff

Worth mentioning that the Jazzbox ukes (by Toby Chennell) are carved archtop ukes, a very different approach to ukuleles, using a handcarved archtop and a floating bridge. These will give you a very different tone than a traditional flattop uke, owing more to its construction than the shape of its soundholes. Kala also makes an archtop f-hole uke, although in this case the top is laminated and pressed into the archtop shape, rather than carved from solid wood, and the Kala uses a fixed bridge rather than a floating bridge with tailpiece.

On the other hand, here's a vintage Regal I have with f-holes. I love this uke, but it has a big, full sound more like a traditional uke than an archtop.

attachment.php

Attachments

• regvita-1.jpg
    regvita-1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 215
Here's the Kala archtop tenor.

Ok here's what I made. I didnt want to use the 8 string after all I just used my Spruce Bari for comparison. Here's whats in the video

Lanikai Spruce Top Baritone gCEA
Scott Anthony Black Acacia Tenor Archtop gCEA
Bruce Wei Acacia Tenor GCEA
Harmony Batwing Mandolin tuned to GCEA

Added the mandolin just for fun :D

Recorded audio with a SM57 and made two videos, one with untouched audio so you can compare the volume to one another because the archtops/fhole ukes are a lot quieter. And the other video I did some volume balancing.
Balanced

Unbalanced
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD_A0HD2GG8&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! Some beautiful ukes!

jcarlos, thanks for the videos! Both of the ukuleles with f holes were gorgeous sounding, but the Bruce Wei Acacia Tenor just had this... ring to it. Loved it!

That is cool. Big Rusty?
I was thinking that myself, but whatever maker, that one is close to over the top. Cool uke Eugene. Concert?
Russ Morin.He makes some awesome looking and sounding resonators.
http://www.russmorin.com/index.html
Thanks fellas, yeah it is a great instrument. Very cool for sure and sounds like a cannonball coated in honey. Yep, it's a Big Rusty, #21, a tenor scale handpainted one in the retro style of the old 50's ukes.

I recently won an eBay auction of a Bruce Wei tenor ukulele designed like a mandolin with f holes, I call it a mandolele, $51 US plus shipping, made in Vietnam. The binding work looks like it was done by a student, but over-all it's really pretty. The sound is different, coming more from the lower bout. It's at my luthier getting the saddle fitted with a pickup and lowering the action. I'm going to add a preamp.

I'm also waiting for a Chinese built arch-top steel string with f holes along with 21 others on a group buy for $165 plus shipping. It's designed after the Gibson ES 350 jazz arch-top semi-hallow guitars.

(Right now my two best sounding ukes are my Oscar Schmidt spalted maple and Uku Hanknn two hole acacia koa.)

u9 Mando-Uke.jpg

archtop dual.jpg

Last edited:
A Vita uke has seal shaped holes.

Thanks for all the replies! Some beautiful ukes!

jcarlos, thanks for the videos! Both of the ukuleles with f holes were gorgeous sounding, but the Bruce Wei Acacia Tenor just had this... ring to it. Loved it!

No problem, it fun making those kinds of videos. Yea I really like the Bruce Wei as well, gonna hold onto that one for a good while.

I recently won an eBay auction of a Bruce Wei tenor ukulele designed like a mandolin with f holes, I call it a mandolele, $51 US plus shipping, made in Vietnam. The binding work looks like it was done by a student, but over-all it's really pretty. The sound is different, coming more from the lower bout. It's at my luthier getting the saddle fitted with a pickup and lowering the action. I'm going to add a preamp.

I'm also waiting for a Chinese built arch-top steel string with f holes along with 21 others on a group buy for $165 plus shipping. It's designed after the Gibson ES 350 jazz arch-top semi-hallow guitars.

(Right now my two best sounding ukes are my Oscar Schmidt spalted maple and Uku Hanknn two hole acacia koa.)

u9 Mando-Uke.jpg

Thats the same Bruce Wei that I have, only difference is mine has a tailepiece and floating bridge. One of my fav instruments that I've ever gotten though, all it needs is a pickup. But I have not seen very many options for a floating bridge.

Top Bottom