Bridge Pin Replacement?

tiki_ink

Reaction score
I want to replace my stock bridge pins on my Kanilea K-1T. Can I just use guitar size bridge pins or does anybody have suggestions? Thanks. :shaka:

I replaced the bridge pins on my Kanile'a tenor with the koa ones from Stew Mac. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges.../Acoustic_Guitar_Bridge_Pins_and_Endpins.html

I think GX9901 used the same ones on his Kanile'a super soprano. The koa wood looks great up against the bridge. One thing to note, I thought they stuck up a big too high so I sanded them down until they fit perfectly. I think GX9901 left his the way they were, and they were fine. You can see a photo of my uke after the change and decide if they will work for you.
closesmall.jpg

I just order the StewMac set for my walnut Kanile`a as well, although after looking at your photo I'm wondering if the snakewood ones might have been a better choice (mine has no binding, which make the koas work on yours).

I'd love to replace the buttons on the tuners with koa or ebony ones but haven't managed to find any online.

Bridge pins?

Hey noobie,
I'm a noobie too. I'm no expert, but not a bad question. Whether or not a uke has bridge pins is up to the manufacturer. Most ukes do not have them, but, Kanile'a in particular solely uses them in their production ukes. I don't know if it is their trademark, but it is definitely recognizeable. I am sure there are a few other costum uke builders that use bridge pins also. Thats my 2 cents.

I've been thinking of changing my kanilea's bridge pins too.

I pose this question. Does it matter if I switch to un-slotted pins? The stock pins have a slot in them but the aftermarket pins in the link above don't seem to have slots.

Hey noobie,
I'm a noobie too. I'm no expert, but not a bad question. Whether or not a uke has bridge pins is up to the manufacturer. Most ukes do not have them, but, Kanile'a in particular solely uses them in their production ukes. I don't know if it is their trademark, but it is definitely recognizeable. I am sure there are a few other costum uke builders that use bridge pins also. Thats my 2 cents.

:shaka:

Thanks for answering my question.

So, do you tie a little knot at the end of the nylon string to get it to work with the bridge pin? I know that there are ball-ended nylon strings for guitar, but for uke?

Leisureclub: the koa ones at Stew Mac are not slotted. It just means that they don't seat as well into the bridge holes as the slotted ones do. Some people (like GX9901) don't care if they sit higher on the bridge. It bugged me, so that is why I shaved them down a little skinnier and now they fit perfectly. So slotted will probably be an exact fit if you don't care about getting the koa ones. If you want koa, either have them stick up a bit, or just shave/sand them a little and they fit flush.

Stackabones: you do tie a knot. At the end of the nylon string, then it catches into the slot in the bridge. The pins themselves don't hold the string in (case in point, you can take out the pin and the string stays put -- the string itself fits into the slot/groove in the bridge).

Stackabones: you do tie a knot. At the end of the nylon string, then it catches into the slot in the bridge. The pins themselves don't hold the string in (case in point, you can take out the pin and the string stays put -- the string itself fits into the slot/groove in the bridge).

Thanks! :) :shaka:

I put Stew Mac pins on my Lanikai LK-1s a few days ago and love them. They're the snakewood unslotted ones with abalone dot, and I especially like how they match the abalone in the fretboard. And I SWEAR I've noticed an improvement in the tone of the instrument!

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

I put Stew Mac pins on my Lanikai LK-1s a few days ago and love them. They're the snakewood unslotted ones with abalone dot, and I especially like how they match the abalone in the fretboard. And I SWEAR I've noticed an improvement in the tone of the instrument!

IMG_2740.jpg

Looks fantastic!

I actually prefer the unslotted ones. You don't really need a slot because your ukulele bridge holes should already have a slot for the string to run through.

On Stewmac.com, there are Koa Pins but these are unslotted, does it still work fine ?

On the Kanile'a (s) the unslotted ones work just fine. I have had to shape a few of them with some 400 grit to get them to seat perfectly.

Remember that wood swells and moves so if it they go in tight and the instrument is dry and then you humidify you might have trouble getting them out.

On the Kanile'a (s) the unslotted ones work just fine. I have had to shape a few of them with some 400 grit to get them to seat perfectly.

Remember that wood swells and moves so if it they go in tight and the instrument is dry and then you humidify you might have trouble getting them out.

The slotted/unslotted doesn't seem to make a difference. I got the slotted snakewood from StewMac because that's what I could find that had a nice pin color that matched my uke well as well as having the abalone dots to match my fretboard. They're a tad large - I may sand them a bit, but it's just for aesthetics, not for function.

Seriously, how can you people just go on about slots without even acknowledging the sheer awesomeness of the skull pins? What is wrong with you? Sheesh...

:D

Top Bottom