Woods Instruments Baritone Review

WashAshore

Reaction score
I'll start by saying I've been playing a uke for only about two weeks. I bought a Lanikia Limited Edition Amara wood concert and love it. I decided to buy a baritone, settled on a Woods Instruments because of the reviews and description, big mistake. First thing I noticed was no finish at all on the wood, dry open grain. I could tell the strings were junk by looking and touching them. I tried tuning it and a string busted, one of the tuners seemed to be slipping. The frets all had sharp ends. I took the strings off, filed the frets and put on a coat of lemon oil.That improved the looks. Tomorrow it gets a new set of Acquila's.
Going forward I will not buy another uke on line, certainly not a Woods.

Many ukeleles require a set up, and fret dressing. It's almost guaranteed at this price. Many ukeleles have a matte finish, but that doesn't mean it's not finished. Filling pores on the even the most expensive ukeleles isn't always done, or at least not done to a glass smooth finish.

A friend bought a Woods baritone and concert, and I adjusted the action and dressed the fret ends. They both had Aquila strings on when I saw them. The bone nut and saddles were all dense, and well fitted. The workmanship seemed fine to me (beside the fret ends), and they had a pleasant enough sound and good volume.

After I finished up the work, I made a quick recording that was meant as more of a joke for their owner. If I still had the ukes, I'd do a better job. As it is, I put it on YouTube just now.....

My Woods Baritone

I'll start by saying I've been playing a uke for only about two weeks. I bought a Lanikia Limited Edition Amara wood concert and love it. I decided to buy a baritone, settled on a Woods Instruments because of the reviews and description, big mistake. First thing I noticed was no finish at all on the wood, dry open grain. I could tell the strings were junk by looking and touching them. I tried tuning it and a string busted, one of the tuners seemed to be slipping. The frets all had sharp ends. I took the strings off, filed the frets and put on a coat of lemon oil.That improved the looks. Tomorrow it gets a new set of Acquila's.
Going forward I will not buy another uke on line, certainly not a Woods.

That's my Woods baritone that Frank B is playing! If yours does NOT look like the photo usually seen online (Amazon, etc.) and has a slightly rounded headstock and nickel frets, then it's the same as mine. To cure any peg slippage, slightly tighten the screws at the end of the pegs. I've got Aquila strings on mine, now, but I also have used D'Addario J92's, meant for concert size, and Aquila GCEA sets. The top is a very thin laminate, and the body interior seems to be built well, although the instrument is surprisingly light. Give it a try with good strings!

Thanks for the responses.
Mine does have the rounded peg head, the frets appear to be brass. The nut and saddle are
plastic, the tuners are sealed. I found two that were only finger tight. I plan on replacing the
plastic with bone pretty soon. I put the Aquila strings on tuned to E-B-G-D, sounds OK. I had
to put another coat of lemon oil on it, the dry wood sucked it right up.

Are you putting lemon oil on the entire ukelele? There are many ukeleles in this price range that have a matte/dry finish. If you have a plastic nut and saddle, maybe your instrument is an older model....???

Top Bottom