I've decided I don't like the dolphin.

pixiepurls

Reaction score
I know its great for what it costs and can be beat up, but MAN does the Hohner Kid one sound SO much better. I can't even seem to tune the Dolphin right, but maybe its user error because I put the strings on myself?

It just doesn't sound as sweet. I tune them both side by side and even my 4yo can tell -- tho she likes the Dolphin best because of how it looks which I am glad because that means I get the Hohner!

I guess its wood vs plastic, or me doing it wrong :)

You're not the only one who prefers the Hohner. I haven't had a chance to compare them but the Dolphin with aquila strings that I have sounds pretty decent. I'm sure at this price point getting a dud would be fairly easy and the cost of a set up might not be worth it with something that inexpensive. Many people are fans but anything that inexpensive is a risky venture. I'm happy with mine however. Especially with the new strings. As a beginner that roaming thought in the head that the problem is with me is always going to be there until I have a lot more experience so I know how you feel.

Last edited:
yeah and neither of mine was "setup" as the Hohner was laying on the floor in its box in a kids kidstore that was going out of business!

I tried a Dolphin once. Tried liking it for a week. The more I played it, the more I hated it. Gave it to my niece, and she loves it, so no loss on that one.

Dan

At that price range you take your chances no matter which one you get. Some are stinkers and some are keepers.

I got lucky on the dolphin I bought. But I did get it through a reputable dealer with Uke Republic.

There is a very easy to do modification which improves sound. Get a number 69 drill bit for one of the small moto drills, or even chuck it in any electric drill that closes that small. The strings go over the bridge and then through the for holes which are parallel to the top of the uke. Right in front of the hole closer to the bridge, drill straight down in front of the four string positions. The strings are fed through the holes and will be pulled up through the sound hole to be tied. NO don't use a bead. Make the first crossover as though you are tying your shoe, but it almost at the end of the string. Put the free end back through that knot's center hole so it acts like a stick across the hole on the inside when you pull it back through.The high G and the A string are the only two which need the "stick across the hole." the other two enter ones, and a low G just need the half hitch because of their size. Put the other end through the tuners, and have at it.

I'll trade you for a good wooden one with a three year warranty, Aquila strings, through the body mounting,and a strap in one of 18 different colours...and a gcea ukulele electronic tuner. I am a reputable dealer.

Would you also please post what part of the world you inhabit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom