I'll tell you what a good uke is

Kimosabe

Reaction score
Okay, maybe it sounds arrogant but here's the satisfaction I've achieved, my uke nirvana:

For about five years I've had a very nice Kanilea K-1. It's my low g uke that I use for jazz playing mostly. I'm a particular fan of Craig Brandau's arrangements. They are picking intertwined with strums. They use alterations and extensions in the chord palette. Pekelo's Hawaiian arrangements require low g as do Glen Rose's jazz arrangements, not to forget those of Lyle Ritz.

However, I also like using a high g and I've had high g ukes to play Tony Mizen's Lute to Uke pieces and Mark Kailana Nelson's great picking books.
I finally, however, got a great uke to use for high g and I recommend it highly.
And, it's not that expensive. Here it is. Check it out:

Kala KA-ACP-CTG A great cedar top, bright like spruce but a little warmer, clear and punchy tones, great harmonics, under $400 with case. Cutaway and electric.

All my bases are covered in two great ukes, high and low g, what I need.

I should try low G again

I own the tenor version, and have played the concert model. Both are very nice, and your assessment of its tonal quality is one I'd agree with.
ENJOY!

A good uke is one that you enjoy playing. I have a similar Kala model, the earlier KA-KTG-CT, which has a solid cedar top and laminated koa back & sides. Despite having several pricier ukes, that Kala has remained one of my favorites for its bright tone that lends itself particularly well to fingerstyle playing. Enjoy!

+1 on the KA-ACP-CTG. Awesome uke. Very impressive all the way around. Tenor w/o cutaway and no electronics retails for about $260.00... really hard to beat at that price point.

I sold my buddy my Kala solid mahogany tenor and everyone agrees it sounds better than his $1600 custom tenor. His custom is a very fine instrument and sounds great too, but the Kala has more depth and fullness to the sound.

I just put a Fremont Soloist Wound Low-G on my MP Custom and it has transformed the instrument into a deep, rich, jazz box!

Last edited:
I sold my buddy my Kala solid mahogany tenor and everyone agrees it sounds better than his $1600 custom tenor.

I just put a Fremont Soloist Wound Low-G on my MP Custom and it has transformed the instrument into a deep, rich, jazz box!

After buying the Kala Acacia/Cedar tenor, I bought two more tenors in the $500 range. Not exactly high-end, but they were nothing compared to the Kala. I did buy Kala's new KA ASOV tenor, and that just beats out the other Kala, mostly in terms of clarity and slight volume boost. These are really good deals! My wife has appropriated the cedar top as her own, so maybe this is all the excuse I need to buy another. Yeah... That's the ticket. :D

I'm going to copy and past the OP to a document so I can start researching and getting some of these wonderful arrangements. Mahalo!

Top Bottom