cutaway soprano or not

fretie

Reaction score
What are your views on a cutaway on a soprano? Is it overkill? Is it useful? Could it be much help or is it more just an aesthetic?

I wouldn't go for it. I like 12 fret sopranos and the last fret is at the body joint on mine…no real need for higher access. With the soundbox as small as it is already, I wouldn't want to give up any more real estate and take a chance on losing resonance.

Useless but cool! Aesthics for me, but few around.

I think it would be a useless option on a soprano. A cutaway would work best on a tenor or baritone size as you will have better sustain and resonance on the upper frets. I have 15 frets on my current soprano, but never play beyond the 12th. I am currently having Willie Wixom build me a custom dreadnought body soprano that will only have 12 frets, with a nice Martin style decorative point at the fretboard edge.

I play a 19-fret soprano, and I play high up the neck regularly, but even on that I see no need for a cutaway. My short little fingers don't have any trouble reaching where I need to go.

I've always thought they were kind of silly on ukes, especially on 12-fret ones, and especially when the player rarely does anything other than strum. But if it's an off the shelf uke that's built with a cutaway, and you like it, then go for it!

I think it's overkill. I have no problem reaching frets past the body join on my concert uke--and I have short little fingers, too.

I own the Cordoba bamboo soprano which is the 12 fret version of the Paulele, and, yes, its ridiculous. I like the look.I wish it had 15 frets. It has a surprising amount of sustain. I even put a low G on it and is pretty well balanced. Are you able to audition the Paulele? I live in Bellingham. Ever get down here?

For playing up to the 12 fret without banging the body, why not a long neck soprano? A cutout would really change the sound to be more like a sopranino. All of the ones of them I have played seem to have a "nasal" rather than a full body sound. I expect that from my Martin backpacker.( It was appreciated and well received in France, but didn't get much traction in the english speaking parts of the world.) Hmmmmmm..a collector's item Martin Long Neck Sopranino.

You're right... cutaway now off my list.... don't care that much for the look and definitely don't really need it on a soprano.

Seeking a regular Paulele bamboo uke.

I play a 19-fret soprano, and I play high up the neck regularly, but even on that I see no need for a cutaway. My short little fingers don't have any trouble reaching where I need to go.

I've always thought they were kind of silly on ukes, especially on 12-fret ones, and especially when the player rarely does anything other than strum. But if it's an off the shelf uke that's built with a cutaway, and you like it, then go for it!

I agree. I'm not a huge fan of sopranos to begin with. But my response to one with a cutaway would probably be, "Uh, where's the sound?" :eek: I think it would just lose too much.

Top Bottom