FS: Kala Tenor Slothead Sold Cedar Top, Makai Concert Sold Cedar Top

A.H.

Reaction score
FS: Kala Tenor Slothead Solid Cedar Top, Makai Concert Solid Cedar Top

Making room/ funding another uke!

What we have here are 2 beautiful looking and sounding ukes. I guess you could say I was in a cedar top phase for a little while.

SOLD! Kala KA-ATP-CT: The slothead solid cedar top acacia back and sides, matted finish, strung with Titanium T2's. Strap buttons installed, Kremona Pickup which works pretty well, padded gig bag, Herco clay humidifier, Grover Tuners which hold tune real well. Set up nicely, good intonation all the way up the neck, no cracks, dings or scratches I could see. Very beautiful sounding uke and the neck is wider than the usual thin Kala neck. Here's a sound sample:

https://soundcloud.com/legaliseit71/kala-cedar-tenor

Attachments

• Image (1).jpg
    Image (1).jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 8f3d68c8dc035820dc5606c8ffa7aec8-35427fed2ebbd5ac01ccdda7fbfa1e40.jpg
    8f3d68c8dc035820dc5606c8ffa7aec8-35427fed2ebbd5ac01ccdda7fbfa1e40.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 69
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 86
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Also for sale is the Makai LK 80j, solid cedar top concert, willow/ juneberry back and sides, friction tuners, strung with Aquilas, padded gig bag. Sound is very punchy and unique. Just like the Kala, no scratches dents or dings that I could see. Action is on the high side, which I like, that also contributes to it's loud, punchy tone! This was an impulse buy and did not get much play, especially since I had the Kala cedar top. Here's a sample of Corey from HMS playing this same model:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppP_WVm1qEY

My sound clip:
https://soundcloud.com/legaliseit71/makai-cedar-concert

$135 shipped, CONUS.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 44
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 36
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
This sounds really quite nice on the HMS site ... what does it sound like with the T2's? What are they? SouthCoast?

sam13 - they sound like fuller sounding Worth Clears, almost classical guitar like, really good for both fingerpicking and chords. I'll try to post a sound sample from home tonight. The T2's are from D'Addario. I actually had Worth Browns and then Clears but they caused a C string buzz and intonation was slightly off because they're so thin. Not so with the D'Addarios.

Last edited:
Interesting point on the strings ... thanks. Would be keen to hear it.

Sound clip is up on the original post

The Kremona Pickup alone goes for $69 on Amazon - I really like it as a pickup option, and considering how the Kala is $225 total, I think it's a steal... super tempted to buy now hahaha.

Thanks for posting it. I think there is something wrong with the clip ... I tried several times and it didn't have sound.

sam13, I just clicked on it and it seems to be working on my end. Also just posted the clip for the Makai. Give it another try

The Kremona Pickup alone goes for $69 on Amazon - I really like it as a pickup option, and considering how the Kala is $225 total, I think it's a steal... super tempted to buy now hahaha.

Good thing about the Kremona is that I can attach it to my other ukes. Had it on my Mainland Mahogany concert and it sounded great. Doesn't work on bridge pins like Kanilea/ Islanders...

On many of the sound clips lately, I have to click on the YouTube icon and do directly to YouTube to see and hear it.

The Kala is SOLD. The Makai is still available and now includes the Kremona pickup. Listen to the sound clip, and don't let the mediocre playing affect the otherwise beautiful tone....

Top Bottom