The tips of my left hand fingers are going numb!

pixiepurls

Reaction score
This is a good thing right? hah. I am worried they will get gnarly looking! Just the first 3 fingers as those are the only ones I use for chords atm. I have no idea how people press the whole finger down on 3 strings at once. I will keep trying but the sound is terrible.

Heh, heh. From years of playing guitar and uke I basically have very little feeling left in the tips of my fretting fingers; to the point that I have to be careful about touching things that might be hot...

The barre will come to you when you are ready, grasshopper... :)

A friend of mine who has played jazz and blues guitar for years has fingertips that are so tough that he has bent the little "stabbers" they use at the doctor's office to prick your finger for a blood test. My fingers are nowhere near as tough as his but now when they prick even my finger they usually do it from the side.

John

Last edited:
Well I hope they don't get like that, lol! I will have to be careful :D

Practice and it will come.....Make sure you aren't pressing any harder than necessary to cleanly fret the string.

When I got my first guitar back in high school, I remember just tearing my hands up, but the calluses build up fast.

Keep practicing, it will come. Barred chords are tricky at first. The calluses will build up quickly, just don't over do it.

Check out Aldrine Guerrero's lessons. He has a segment on barred chords. I have crooked index fingers on both hands and barring is tricky with this finger. Aldrine suggests placing your middle finger on top of the index for added strength. My private teacher also suggests more pressure from the thumb. One other thing I do is use my middle finger for barring, especially for D7. Find what works best for you and run with it. Most of us play for the sheer joy it brings us. We all have limitations physically and I try not to worry about the things I can't ever do. Do the best you can and have fun. Aloha

I remember tackling Dream A Little Dream Of Me and finally getting a barred chord that sounded musical. Took a long time to get there, but just like riding a bike, once you get up on those two wheels, you remember how it feels and can do it again. Repetition makes the magic happen.

I remember tackling Dream A Little Dream Of Me and finally getting a barred chord that sounded musical. Took a long time to get there, but just like riding a bike, once you get up on those two wheels, you remember how it feels and can do it again. Repetition makes the magic happen.

Yuuuup. Repetition and lots and lots of hand cramps. ;)

It will all come it just takes practice. Funny for me playing barred chords on a guitar are easier to play than playing it without a barre (ie an F chord). Uke barred cords were hard until I realized for me that my barring finger needs to be over the top of the fret board a little instead of the tip of the finger being even with the top of the fret board (like a guitar).

You will get some tough skin, but you may be able to make sure it is not too bad. Firstly, do some practice where you just touch the string, and see if it will ring out the right note, see how lightly you need to press to get the right sound. Often you won't have to press very hard, this may save your finger tips. A second thing you can do is to keep your fretting hand nails short, not so short that there is no quick left, but maybe with 0.5mm of white, and well below the tip of the finger.
Lastly look at where your thumb is, it needs to be behind the finger tips to get the best control of finger pressure. You can throttle the neck if you like, guitar style, but you really don't need to. Try to be as gentle as you can with the fretting hand and do the noisy bits with your right hand.

Thanks guys, I will try all of the recommendations. I know my thumb is not always in the right place and I am quiet sure I press too hard but its hard to get it to sound out if I don't. I am giving my fingers a rest day today.

Top Bottom