Side Sound port rosette or purfling question?

tangimango

Reaction score
planning on to have a side soundport on this build.
when putting some kind of rosette or purfling around the hole, do i need to install it before i bend the sides or after i bent the sides?

Bending the sides with the port cut wouldn't have occurred to me as I believe the side would distort around the hole. Were the hole purfled I'd expect issues with the glue when heat/moisture got involved. I do all such work after the ribs are bent and glued to at least one plate.

I have cut only 6 soundports so far, but I cut them into bent sides, with the sides joined and linings on. I clamp a 2" ish x 2" ish stick to a work top, extending into space, and support the upper bout on that. I use a hole saw in a hand drill. With a steady hand, it leaves a very nice hole with minimal cleanup necessary unless you want to shape it. I follow with a spindle sander if I want to shape the hole. With a hole saw, I guess there is a risk of it binding as it is cutting through, and blowing up the whole piece, but that has not happened to me yet, and the process feels safe. I use a spindle sander to enlarge the hole if I want it a different shape than round. I like backing them with 0.17" carbon fiber sheet, epoxied, clamped with 4 small c-clamps. The first one I did, I backed with spruce, but removed it afterwards, as when looking through the port from the outside of the hole, the spruce looked weird to me, unfinished, and out of place. The Carbon fiber is black, perfect for a hole :) The Koa body shown below is still a ways out, right now I am working on a Rosewood/ Redwood tenor, it will be the next one finished.

Here are a couple..

Last edited:
Top Bottom