Banjo Uke Strings

bigphil

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Gold Tone concert banjolele, It was used and I'm pretty sure still had the original strings on it. It actually sounded pretty good but wasn't holding tune very well so I wanted to up grade the strings. I had a set of D'adarios nyl-tech on hand and put those on it. These aren't bad but I think it lost a bit of punch. I see Aquila and La Bella both offer specific banjo sets but I believe these both have a wound 3rd. I don't want to deal with a squeaky wound string.

So anyway, you folks with banjo uke experience, what do you recommend for strings?

I have the same Gold Tone you do, and I use regular Aquila concert strings on it. I'm pretty happy with the tone.

Glad you said that Captain Simian just about to try martins on my BUC.
Steve.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Rich mine is actually the Banjolele model which is an open back rather than the BUC but I still appreciate your input! :)

I have the Asian clone of that banjo uke with a full resonator, and Goldtone recommended and installed Aquila Banjo Uke strings when I had some upgrades done to it. Best strings for banjo ukes often depend on which vellum is installed. Depending on personal preferences, a general rule is the brighter the vellum, the mellower the strings (unless you like it very bright).

I'm going to try the Aquila's, does yours have the wound 3rd string Phil? Not sure I'd like that, so I'm leaning toward the standard Concert set. Besides I'm pretty sure I can buy those locally rather than ordering them....

I'm hoping to try out some real gut strings from Gamut ordered a week ago. Also wanted to try the Essex gut strings out of the UK, but they won't respond to any emails I send.

On my concert banjo uke I use Aquila unwound concert strings. I get a great sound from them.

Top Bottom