No More Tru-Oil in California

Michael Smith

Reaction score
I went to buy some try-oil last night and no one will ship to California anymore. I have a series of ukuleles that I would like to do an oil finish on. Has anyone used the Behlen Tung Oil finish.

I bought some last week from Amazon and they shipped no problem. I went to our local gun dealer first and he told me the same thing.
Pretty soon everything will be illegal in California!

To test this, I just now bought the 3-oz size from an Amazon 3rd party, no problem. I tried buying the aerosol a couple months ago, but they wouldn't ship to CA.

What exactly is the reasoning behind this? VOC content? Other?

I heard VOC but don't know for sure. Another company I used to get a wipe on furniture finish from went out rather than to keep hassling with the govmnt.
It will be illegal to exhale here pretty soon

Tru Oil doesn't seem to contain huge amounts of VOC's, well not when you compare it to something like Danish Oil. !!!
It's obvious that VOC are on the agenda, not just in California. Many manufacturers of Paints and Varnishes have changed their formula.
I now see a lot of 'cleaner' substitutes for Turpentine and White Spirit on supermarket shelves.
My favourite Oil Varnish is probably coming into their vision shortly. :(

Last edited:
maybe it is the particular drier?

I use a lot of Daly's ProFin. (not for ukes, Cardinal lacquer is for ukes) I do not use it the same way that people who use Tru-oil do when using it for a surface building finish. I have seen ProFin used that way though. Personally, If I want a surface building finish, it is not a wipe on finish. I do love oil finishes.

Formby's "Tung Oil" wipe-on finish is sold in the big box home centers out here in New England. I haven't tried Tru oil but have a feeling that the products might be similar. Is that available out there for you to try?

Also Lin-Speed oil..and both these products are banned in Canada as well:(

I pick mine up when I visit the US. I'm only 100km from the border, so easy peasy. Although I notice it's available on Amazon.ca and at Cabelas for pickup in the store. I like the US price better.

Last edited:
The bright side is it looks like you are increasingly able to smoke dope wherever you like. Maybe if you mixed marijuana in with the tru-oil they might not ban it?

That's funny! Maybe someone needs to come up with Tru Hemp Oil.

That's the million dollar opportunity! That would be very popular in emerald triangle in which I live.

Oh cripe it's already available for decks http://www.hempshield.net Here is the hemp wood finishhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/like/170966566189?lpid=82

wonder if it is any good.

Last edited:
I have a couple of work shirts emblazoned with "Hemp Cone Technology" referring to a Tone Tubby line of speakers. Don't know about the speakers, but the shirts are nice. Gets some funny looks.

Also, if [you] need a 32oz bottle of Tru Oil, I managed to get several a short time ago. While I use the oil on most everything, I can part with a bottle or two.

That's the million dollar opportunity! That would be very popular in emerald triangle in which I live.

Oh cripe it's already available for decks http://www.hempshield.net Here is the hemp wood finishhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/like/170966566189?lpid=82

wonder if it is any good.

I see that they have a retail store in Grass Valley. Figures. :)

Had a friend in San Juan Capistrano CA. who owned a silk screening business (Sundance Graphics). He did prints for Nike, Ocean Pacific and many others, along with art prints. The Air Quality Management District (AQMD) tried to shut him down or limit his production, saying his dryers were letting too many fumes in the air. Had to hire attorney's and it cost him a small fortune to fight the storm troopers.

Had a friend in San Juan Capistrano CA. who owned a silk screening business (Sundance Graphics). He did prints for Nike, Ocean Pacific and many others, along with art prints. The Air Quality Management District (AQMD) tried to shut him down or limit his production, saying his dryers were letting too many fumes in the air. Had to hire attorney's and it cost him a small fortune to fight the storm troopers.

Last I checked, the permit alone for a small spray finishing booth in Los Angeles is $1300. Plus equipment, plus annual renewal/inspection. I don't know anyone who is for a dirty environment, but this pendulum needs to swing a bit the other direction.

In the meantime, it's Tru Oil (until the supply runs dry), water-based laquer/polys/paints, and rattle cans for me. I can't imagine what the worry about Tru Oil is. The stuff has minimal odor, is liquid, made of natural materials.

Can't buy naphtha in CA. Got a case shipped to me a year ago, but I hope I can get more when I run out.
I think there is a size limit, if you can find a supplier that sells it in a small container. Let me know if you find one.

–Lori

Top Bottom