One Book - One Uke

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm going to try something different and see if makes a difference for me. Over the past few years I've amassed several books that have gotten little more than a perusing. I've also succumbed to UAS and have bought and sold my fair share of ukes, and have a modest collection on hand. I'm challenging myself to complete a book, and do it with the use of only one uke.

I revisited Fretboard Roadmaps that I've had for years but never did more than thumb through and pick up bits here and there. A couple of weeks or so ago I started over again with it and have created a bit of a syllabus to help me get through it. There's lots of information in there but not a lot of direction on how to digest it…it's kind of left up to the individual.

I've really been digging my Kala KA-SMHS and have used it for the bulk of my practice. It's gotten so much action that the satin neck is now gloss, and there are gloss spots worn on the body from repeated use.

So my challenge is to finish Fretboard Roadmaps in whatever amount of time it takes, really internalizing all the information, and to use only that one Kala to do it. I figure that by the end of the studies, not only will I have made great strides in my playing, but I'll have completely broken in this uke and gotten to know it intimately.

Anyone else here done something similar? Anyone else want to share the challenge with me with your choice of book and uke?

Kevin,

I really only play my Mainland tenor even though there are several other ukes around the house. I like your idea however, of One Book - One Uke. I think I will borrow your idea and pick one book and learn each song in it even if I don't particularly like the song.

I like the plan,
Doug

I am still trying to pick a book. I don't know how to read the music in my fake book and I started 21 songs in 6 days or whatever its called but a lot of the songs are boring.

I'm glad there are still folks around with enthusiasm to get through that book! I've had to do a lot of traveling lately and I'm still out of town, but I do plan to get back to Fretboard Roadmaps in a serious way when I return in a week or so. See you in The Group! (I'll probably use more than one uke though. ;) )
Jamie

I find I'm a little rudderless with Fretboard Roadmap, but I should really develop some discipline because I think there's really a wealth of info in there.

I do like Uke Exercises for Dummies, he really does break things down into manageable & easily understandable bits.

I find I'm a little rudderless with Fretboard Roadmap, but I should really develop some discipline because I think there's really a wealth of info in there.

That's the way I felt. There really is a wealth of info, but not much direction on how to go about learning it. I wanted a way to learn the info, but early on it doesn't seem like there's much to tie it together. Rather than learning all the notes on the fretboard and then moving on to the next roadmap, I'm combining roadmaps. I started learning the notes on the 4th string along with the B formation/variations in major and minor. I've since added the notes on the 1st string along with B formation/variation 7th chords. The major/minor roots are on the 4th string and 7th on the 1st string. This gives me a way to learn the notes while learning chords and being able to make up melodies and rhythms that tie it together. Once I get through all 4 strings and the 3 chord formations, I think the rest of the book will better fall into place from the looks of it. It gives me some structure and makes it much more interesting. I'm going to take it slow, not moving on until I have all 1st/4th string notes memorized and can easily switch between all B formation/variation chords. I'm almost there.

Kevin,

I like your idea of one book especially. Sometimes I spread myself too thin trying to learn too much at once. As the old Zen saying goes, "the hunter who chases two rabbits, catches none."

I think there are some benefits to focusing. On the other hand, it can become its own kind of roadblock. When a particular skill or exercise doesn't come easy, or doesn't excite you, it cam be the thing that stops you from moving forward all together. I think it is best to give yourself the permission to jump to some other thing when the skill you are "supposed to" be working on has got you frustrated.

Glad to hear that people are finally discussing the limitations of the Fretboard Roadmaps book.

If you want to understand what all the weird chords, the extensions and alterations, are about and for, you'd be much better off getting Glen Rose's jazz series and in particular his video on substitutions for dominant chords. When you learn about how jazz is based on building blocks of the 2-5-1 progression, you'll learn how there are common substitutions for the 1 and V chords. Then you play them and hear the subtle differences which is all they are. Most are variations of seventh chords; for example the ninth and thirteenth chords. They'll mae more sense when you hear them in practice. They're like choosing different shades of color when you're painting a room.

Another thing you really need to do is learn to make a scale in whatever key you're playing in. Learn which note is the one, the two, the three, the four, the five, the sixth, and the seventh. Find them and then play chords in that key and see where these notes occur. Learn that a major is 1,3,5.

Learn what makes a minor chord, a seventh, a major seventh, a ninth, etc. Then get into suspended chords, etc. But you have to start with the major scale. Pretty soon you'll be able to make your own chords without a book of chords. Really. If you know the scale you can flat the third if necessary. You can put in a second for a suspended second or a fourth for a suspended fourth. It's no good learning these chords if you don't feel how they're used.

It also really helps to learn to read. Get Curt Schellar's reading book and teach yourself to read single lines. It won't take that long.

Pekelo's Hawaiian books are really good for teaching reading and timing of notes. Timing is essential. You also learn how to incorporate bass picking to further the rhythm.

Strumming patterns are over-rated. Learn to keep time with a metronome. Start slow. Pretty soon you'll just do what you feel. Don't be afraid of leaving space. Silence is an essential part of music.

Picking patterns are very important in that you can learn to create different voices in your playing. If you use a low g you can learn to create a bass part.

Then go back to that Road Map book and see whether you find anything valuable. My humble but experienced opinion.

Last edited:
I think it is a great idea to "get back to basics" and focus on one book, using one instrument to master the book. I'm wondering if Ukulele Aerobics would be something good for me to try. Or maybe the jazz books or oh, I don't know. Why isn't there a Klose' book of ukulele!!!

I remember listening to Jake give an interview and he mentioned he basically plays the same uke. He says that way he really learns the nuances of that instrument and gets the most out of it.

I am glad others feel that way about Fretboard Roadmaps as well. I just couldn't get beyond the first few pages and never opened the CD. I know I didn't give it a good try.

I really only have one ukulele - the others are practice or are kid-friendly inexpensive plastic ones. I just got Lute to Uke as a second book, and will start it during spring break next week. So, by default, I will be one book/one uke. I just hope the CD explains it better than reading it. Maybe if I hear it, it will click.

Great suggestions. I was just feeling a little list as well. Will get to the Fretboard Road map. As well. And of course the UU videos. Glen Roses stuff looks good as well.

I have music theory. Just need the practice.

Fretboard Roadmaps is *a lot* of information. The author is one of my teachers, and I've taken several classes with him covering material in the book, and I still can't say I've covered the whole thing. I actually find it more useful as a reference book, e.g. if I'm working on blues scales to reference that chapter of the book, rather than as something to work through sequentially.

Nice to see some other recommendations and reactions to the book I'm working on. Although it can be tough to follow at times, I'm not ready to throw in the towel and look for another book. I'll keep those in mind for subsequent studies. I do work through the major scale and base my chord variations on the original chord, so I'm not just memorizing the variant chords, but learning them in scale context (b3, +, sus, etc.). I would like more songs to use them in context with, but will have to build my repertoire from elsewhere. It's a lot of information, but I believe with the right approach, I'll learn a lot from it.

For me, focus helps a lot. I'm currently working through Kev's Fingerstyle Ukulele. I am also working on some other things, but spending a lot of time on this. I have two tenor ukes and play both a lot.

I bought a copy of Ukulelezaza's "Happy Days Are Here Again" book a year or so back and worked my way through most of the songs in it with one particular soprano uke that I fell in love with the second I strummed a note on it. It is a curly maple and koa uke built by Gerard Guasch. Next up - one of these days - will be Lil' Rev's "101 licks" book with my Black Bear soprano. I think playing one uke as much as possible is a great thing to improve one's playing. If only I could follow through with that myself!

I am about 4 songs into 'Happy Days Are Here Again'. I feel like it has already really improved my playing. Its both challenging and accessible somehow. I have tried lots of books but this one has really grabbed me. I haven't chosen a single uke but I have started playing my sopranos almost exclusively. I do enjoy switching between different ukes though. I actually think it improves my ears a bit and it makes me appreciate the slight differences that each uke has to offer.

Anyone else here done something similar? Anyone else want to share the challenge with me with your choice of book and uke?

Good way to approach it. I came from 45+ years of guitar playing, so the fretboard was already familiar to me. I learned by playing, by osmosis and watching other players. Mostly what I had to do was unlearn a lot of guitar habits (like reaching for those extra strings for a bass run).

Doesn't mean I don't read about ukes - I have the Roadmap book too. But mostly I read about music theory - more general than specific. I have picked up a few books over the years that teach some different licks - like blues and jazz - for guitar mostly.

Top Bottom