PDA

View Full Version : Help...

Ladybyron
03-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Hello People,

I've just bought my 4th ukelele, it's a Bruce Wei Concert Ukelele. I spent for me quite a lot of money about 130, I've just received my confirmation email. In it he advises me to buy a humidifier to stop the body cracking or the neck bowing. However on EBay, they are only available in the U.S.A., do I really need one of these in which case I'll need 4. I'm really worried now in case I've bought a lemon.

I've already had a row with my brother because I've bought this Uke, after paying..

95 for an Ortega rz10 Soprano
165 for a Riza 'half body' Soprano which I love, it's so nice to hold
80 for a Luna Mo'o Concert Soprano..which I bought because of the attractive top.

I've just had an email saying if my humidity is 55- 65% I shouldn't need one at all.

That is of course..if my brother doesn't disown me first..oh I've only been playing two weeks and learnt 5 chords..but I'm happy.

Kim xx 🎶 🎸

anthonyg
03-06-2014, 12:07 AM
A humidifier can be as simple as putting a slightly damp cloth in the case with the ukulele. ALL solid timber instruments like you to keep a check on humidity and not let them get too dry. I recommend that you go to an electrical store (one that sells soldering irons rather than domestic appliances) and buy yourself a hygrometer. They aren't that expensive at all. Then you know where your at to start with regarding humidity.

Anthony

PhilUSAFRet
03-06-2014, 01:47 AM
Sounds like someone has a bad case of UAS.

stevepetergal
03-06-2014, 01:58 AM
If your humidity stays at 40% or higher, you needn't bother. But if you do humidify, please don't put a damp cloth in your case (a very bad idea). Much better to purchase or fabricate a case humidifier than to have water in direct contact with your wooden instrument.

actadh
03-06-2014, 03:06 AM
I understand - I acquired several ukuleles first, which then cut into any accessories budget.

Put the word humidifier into the Advanced Search here in the upper right of this forum page. Many threads pop up. One I found helpful talked of homemade versions. I now have a piece of wrung out wet paper towel inside an empty prescription pill bottle that has holes cut in the lid. Sponges were recommended, but apparently I spend more time playing my ukulele than cleaning my house because I did not have any sponges on hand.

moetrout
03-06-2014, 05:59 AM
I made a humidifier that I think works pretty well. Flexible vinyl tubing with a bunch of holes drilled into it and stuffed with a sponge. A piece of cord on one end so you can pull it out of the sound hole and a cork at the other end just in case some water drips to the end (not sure it is really necessary). Wet the sponge by soaking it in a glass of water and then wringe out all the excess and dry it off so it does not drip inside. Here is a pic.

Inksplosive AL
03-06-2014, 07:49 AM
Both my Vietnam ukuleles (a concert and a tenor) and both my old harmony's (sopranos) are now sitting in one humidity chamber made from a large underbed sterilite storage container and two sandwich bags with brand new odor resistant sponges in them. I figure odor resistant is less likely to mold and I leave the top cracked an inch.

I read about it on these forums I think, its amazing how fast cracks can close after humidifying. I didn't realize how dry my heat was now I'm happily buying laminate ukuleles, besides those two old Harmony's. Took my old Yamaha acoustic out of its case for the first time in 10 years and she looks dry as well.

I'm going to make a pill bottle humidifier for that, man I forgot how BIG a guitar is.

jop
03-07-2014, 12:12 AM
I saw from your profile that you live in the UK, so too low humidity is hardly a problem :).

Ladybyron
03-08-2014, 12:29 AM
First of all, I'd like to say how lovely you all are and thank you for your help. I should have mentioned that I live in the UK. My Luna came yesterday, and It's lovely, in fact I think all of them sound lovely..

I like to let you know, that I've stopped buying. My brother says he's going to "Hit me over the head with them" if I do. 😉. Once again..

Thank you

Kim xx

phil hague
03-08-2014, 12:46 AM
Hi, I live in NW England where it rains a lot. I just keep my ukes in their case when not playing them. I have never had any problem and never use a humidifier. Don,t think Daganam is a very dry area or am I mistaken? Don't store them near a heater or radiator, treat them like babys, warm in winter and cool in summer. Have fun with them and don't worry.

Condor
03-10-2014, 06:00 AM
As a UK uker and guitar player myself, I can say it can become surprisingly dry in overheated central heating environments, so don't think that the UK is not a problem for low humidity. Excessive humidity, like over 60% for extended periods, can also cause damage, just as sub-30% can. However, keeping ukes in hard cases and not hanging on walls or on stands definitely helps. I also bought a few Planet Waves small instrument humidifiers via Amazon to keep in uke cases. I use a Planet Waves guitar humidifier for my Taylor and ensure that i keep an eye on the hygrometers I have in the rooms the ukes are mainly kept in. We also have evaporative humidifers to ensure the air in those rooms stays above 30% humidity. My partner has a mahogany Concert (pedal) harp and we also have a lovely piano, so the humidity aspect is really important to us given we have some lovely wooden instruments.

Hygrometers are inexpensive, it may be worth getting one and keeping an eye on the relative humidity.

Ladybyron
03-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Thank you so much for all the advice..as a novice all advice is welcome.

Kim xxx

della-belle
03-11-2014, 05:05 AM
Basically, what Condor said!

I'd add that if you have any laminate ukes you won't have to worry about them as much, because they're pretty tough. Anything solid wood goes in a case for me and I check the humidity each day on my phone :D

Ladybyron
03-12-2014, 12:50 AM
Thank you..🎸🎶