I think I've been blessed with a lack of good taste!

CJay

Reaction score
Having just joined a short time ago I have been reading some old threads. I found this sound comparison http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?59356-Can-you-tell-which-is-which and discovered I greatly preferred the plastic and Makala to the $500 KoAloha with the Plastic being my favorite.

I've only been playing about a month and I'm already thinking about a second uke. I think being born with a lack of good taste is going to save me a lot of money!:D

UAS is everywhere. resistance is futile. You may end up with Makalas of every possible design and color. :) Or maybe in your travels you'll find that elusive Holy Grail ukulele that speaks to you in a way that KoAloha doesn't. Anyway, good luck with your own ukulele journey.

Having just joined a short time ago I have been reading some old threads. I found this sound comparison http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?59356-Can-you-tell-which-is-which and discovered I greatly preferred the plastic and Makala to the $500 KoAloha with the Plastic being my favorite.

I've only been playing about a month and I'm already thinking about a second uke. I think being born with a lack of good taste is going to save me a lot of money!:D

You're lucky. I've been blessed with very good taste and a lack of talent. :(

Isn't it great that we all like different things! Makes the world much more interesting.... Taste or no taste, is all a matter of opinion! I say, enjoy what ever uke you like!!!!

good luck ;)
as a beginner I didn't hear much difference at all in the various sound samples I listened to between ukes.
I have a cordoba 15cm that I thought was great and a concert fluke that while I don't really like playing it that much does sound very good.
I bought a koaloha concert based on all the rave reviews of the sound and tone...and wow...what a startling difference in tone from my other ukes.
I can't really play the cordoba at all anymore and I absolutely love the sound of the koaloha.
sound samples can't capture the full body of the instruments. The koaloha has an almost physical presence in its sound that didn't come across at all in any of the videos/samples I listened to.

we have a makala dolphin in the house too and its not bad at all, and like any obsessive hobby the law of diminishing returns kicks in very quickly, but I think there is a reason many of the instruments cost more.

UAS is everywhere. resistance is futile. You may end up with Makalas of every possible design and color. :)

I really want to do that...and have a rainbow on my wall...

Uke player's rule number 1: Have fun

Whatever cranks your tractor, that's my motto!

Since starting to play ukulele last June, I caught UAS and within a month bought three, and now own eight (see signature). They retail from $300 to over $500, but I paid around $150 for each. Two of them are my "favorites" because they have the most projection and play the easiest (the Uku Hanknn and Oscar Schmidt). But I enjoy playing them all, and they each have their own look. My answer to a uke colleague who questioned why I don't just buy one $1000 uke instead of eight $150 is, I'm having fun collecting and playing them.

I am doubly blessed, skating on thin ice in both taste and talent. But, oh, how I love it!

Top Bottom