Went to local Uke shop, walked out with an Uke...

pixiepurls

Reaction score
So i brought my old but barely used Jasmine Guitar (Acoustic/electric) and they offered me $70 for it. I looked at the $120-$150 range and then asked to see the $250 ish range and was handed a super lovely $300 ukulele.. I should not have attempted to play it lol. Future note to self: Don't pick up expensive Ukuleles you don't want to buy.

The $118 range didn't seem that much more amazing then my kids Hohner Suprano which actually plays really lovely, I must have gotten a really good one because it just sounds wonderful. So I wasn't super impressed at that price range.

12995557063_65e096d2f7_z.jpg

I also had some money from selling an old kindle and then of course I needed a case (I went cheap, I like something small I can sling on my back) and 1 extra set of strings.

So I still walked out paying way more then i meant to walking in but she was SO PRETTY and played so nice and my fingers liked her. I didn't worry about brand I just played them. This one played the "cleanest" to my fingers and was warm and not too twangy. Some of the expensive ukes are very tweety and twangy I guess to be very true to ukulele but I like deeper.

I put my fingers on a $200 Baritone. I LOVED how it sounded like a guitar but decided to stick with the tenor. I didn't want to get confused by strings and stuff. I also like how small the tenor is and the baritone gets into more clunky territory. I am 5'2 and quiet small.

I feel like my fingers have more room to get things right on the tenor then on the soprano even tough I have small hands.

This is a Kala, I don't know much about them accept I remember one person who had a cheap one was worried about not being legit, this thing feels pretty legit to me but of course I am a newb so I don't know much. It's solid Mahagony and feels so nice. I realized I spent nearly as much as the Pono Tenor I was dreaming of, but its probably much better that I got to pick this one out in real life.

So it may not be any of the brands I was reading about online but she's lovely and plays so nice and was setup by the Uke shop and has not lost her tune all day (which is pretty wild compared to my cheap ones that do have to be retuned each time I play, but I like it to be exactly in tune when I play).

UAC is now officially over :) This Tenor just feels lovely and sounds lovely.

It's like this one but mine has a slotted headstock:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-smht-solid-mahogany-tenor.html

Last edited:
Nice Kala! If you go to HMS's comments regarding the Kala brand, they say Kala has been their best selling ukes for years. My experience with solid Kala ukuleles has been very good. Enjoy!

oh, sweet! I didn't realize that link didn't have them! Nice :) I did good then :D Playing her right now, she's just really nice I luv her! :D:smiley bounce:

Do you guys name your ukes? She needs a name!

Last edited:
Kala is very well-known as one of the larger overseas ukulele manufacturers. My experience is that Kala is very reliable and good value for money. I think in the $100-300 range, Kala makes some great models. If I'm identifying your model correctly from the photos, you selected one of the nicer Kalas. I think you made a great choice-- you will be enjoying that uke for years after the sting of a few extra dollars goes away!

It is lovely. I especially like the slotted headstock and the grain on the front. Edited to add... It is worth spending a little more money to get something you really love. You will keep it for a long time and it is a good investment.

Congratulations! It's so great when the same uke appeals to the eyes and the ears.

I could tell that was a Kala right off the bat and congratulations on making an excellent choice! I still have my first Kala I got 5 years ago and though I have many more now she's the one I grab when heading out the door to, well, wherever, sitting in the car waiting for the kids, going to the dr.'s office, park, hiking, etc. Have fun!!!

Nice looking. The HMS link shows an all solid mahogany uke, which model did you get?

All solid Mahogany. it just has the fancy slotted headstock. Also has the same tortoise shell design around the edge by the white line, which I don't really care for but I do like when there is a line of some sort around the sound hole and edge of the instrument, creates an architectural element to the design.

It's super solid and very light. Something about it just feels really nice and it plays really "clean" is the only way I can think to describe it.

Last edited:
Congratulations. It looks great and if it plays well and sounds good to you it is a good choice. I have a cheaper (laminate) Kala for my first ukulele. It sounds pretty good but I am urning for one with at least a solid soundboard. My next one will be in the $300-$400 range probably another Kala. I think they are well built
Cliff

UAC is now officially over :) This Tenor just feels lovely and sounds lovely.

UAS is never over. It may be quelled but it inevitably proves temporary.

Never had a problem with Kala, unlike Ohana & Lanikai.

I love Kala's slotted headstocks, and yours looks fantastic. Well done. :)

I have the cutaway tenor and it sounds great. I like the tortoise myself, kind of a "vintage" look to it. Putting low G's on mine as it's my "jazz and blues" uke. Good luck.

Top Bottom