Ukulele Slack Key? resources?

centr0

Reaction score
I've been looking to get into more Hawaiian songs on the ukulele and would like to give ukulele slack key a try.

I've seen various videos on youtube from Mark, Uncle Dave and Aaron from HMS. While those are great, I'd like to see if there are any others I'm missing.

Also, does anyone own any ukulele slack key books?

Thanks.

Try Amazon~ I found a great book on there, but I don't have it with me right now.

Elderly has a few slack key ukulele books.

Mark Kailana Nelson's "The Uke Buke" is great, and so is "Ukulele Slack Key" by David Heaukulani. There is a CD available with many of the song from Marks book too.
I think they are available from Amazon.

I just checked it out on Elderly, they say the tuning is GCEG, that's banjo tuning (at the fifth fret), so a banjo chord book will give you the chord shapes. These days I'm stringing my banjos as baritone banjos, down a fifth, and guess what, that's GCEG.

I really like pianolo slack-key in the nelson's book tuning in c wahine gbeb but there s no other tab gbeg :/

Great links and tips guys! Thanks!

I tune half my ukes to slack key, it's a very satisfying way to play. I have chord charts here: http://jonthysell.com/2013/06/20/fr...chord-charts-and-diagrams-gceg-baritone-dgbd/

Of the three books I've seen on the subject, Mark Nelson's been the most densely packed and most useful, followed by Dave Heaukulani's then Heeday Kimura's.

I've actually stumbled upon your blog a couple weeks back. Left a comment, but forgot what I said. Lol. Thanks for taking the time!

I've ordered Marks book. Should be here Tues.

I think my wife is getting sick of the only song I know on the ukulele.

Looking to expand. And since I sound like a dying animal while singing, finger style fits me perfectly.

Top Bottom