Another Paintied Uke!

caukulele

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just finished painting another uke. This one is a Pono Soprano (MS) and I had a lot of fun with it. The paint did not dull the sound at all. Later I will try and do a little video with it.Closeup front view.jpg
Bottom view.jpgFull front view.jpgFull back view.jpg

Very nice, Denise! I loooove indigo and the colors right next to it.

Aloha Denise,
Oh my, wow wow wow Looks totally awesome Denise....I do love your artsy pono line painted ukes....me wants, let me know how much they are...PLease.... :)
oh boy concert coming next ....yes yes yes :)

Soooo beautiful! I've been wanting to do something to my Cordoba concert...it's so plain! Did you use special paint/sealer? Or just acrylic?

And oh yes...please let us know if you are selling...

lehua copy.jpg
campuke copy.jpg
Here are the other two ukes I painted.
Concertina, I use professional quality acrylics, thinned down....but first I sand the ukes lightly with steel wool, then give a very thin layer of Gesso, then the paint, and at the end I seal them with a 50 percent diluted polymer varnish. So far I have not noticed a difference in tone or volume with the ukes..and in fact the paint seemed to markedly improve one of the ones I painted.... I am selling them, so if you are interested just pm me.

Very nice!

Those look fantastic, Denise! I especially like the blue one. Did you consider painting the necks as well? I realize that it would probably affect the feel and playability of the uke, but I think it would look pretty sharp. Obviously it would have to be a very smooth finish. It appears in one of your photos of the blue one's headstock that there is a fair amount of texture to the paint.

Very nice work. I like! :)

Those look fantastic, Denise! I especially like the blue one. Did you consider painting the necks as well? I realize that it would probably affect the feel and playability of the uke, but I think it would look pretty sharp. Obviously it would have to be a very smooth finish. It appears in one of your photos of the blue one's headstock that there is a fair amount of texture to the paint.

Very nice work. I like! :)
Thanks so much for your comments. I did paint one of the necks, but personally did not like the feel of it as I played...and for me it's so important that the sound and playability not be altered when I paint a uke. I also think of the wear on a uke as it is played. Since I thin down the paints so much, the textures are minimum..in fact some of the layers and textures are illusions created with overlays and shadows. (I do love textures though, in my paintings, as they are often very highly layered and textured.)

I love it! You took a boring looking instrument and made it a piece of art! Cool!

I didn't think you should thin down acrylics with more than 30% water? Too much water leads to flaking/lifting/falling off. The spherical acrylic molecules are too far apart when the water evaporates from the acrylic. I may use a medium instead of water when I paint the uke I am about to start. I'll be using Golden artist grade acrylics. They are amazing!

Thanks for all the kind comments.
Hi Justin, I mix a combo of medium and water into my paint when painting the ukes..(enough to flow freely and still maintain the integrity of the paint and the rich colors as well) however the varnish at the end gets thinned down 40 to 50 percent, as it's much better to do two or three thin layers instead of a thicker coat. Golden artist grade acrylics are great stable paints.

Beautiful work.

Could you give as general idea of the price range for one of these beauties?

Every time I see the title of the thread, "Another Paintied Uke!" I keep thinking it says, "pantied" uke! What kind of panties would a uke wear? :D

Nice painting BTW.

Awesome. I'm thinking of using airbrush medium mixed with my acrylics. Prepped my uke today for painting. =) What type of varnish do you use? I have some Gamblin Gamvar around that I like for my canvas paintings.

Top Bottom