PDA

View Full Version : Another Paintied Uke!

caukulele
03-07-2014, 03:08 PM
I just finished painting another uke. This one is a Pono Soprano (MS) and I had a lot of fun with it. The paint did not dull the sound at all. Later I will try and do a little video with it.64618

caukulele
03-07-2014, 03:10 PM
A few more photos.
Next, I have two Concert Pono's ready to paint.

GinnyT11
03-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Very nice, Denise! I loooove indigo and the colors right next to it.

hent
03-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Wow! Awesome!!

mm stan
03-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Aloha Denise,
Oh my, wow wow wow Looks totally awesome Denise....I do love your artsy pono line painted ukes....me wants, let me know how much they are...PLease.... :)
oh boy concert coming next ....yes yes yes :)

Concertina
03-08-2014, 02:45 AM
Soooo beautiful! I've been wanting to do something to my Cordoba concert...it's so plain! Did you use special paint/sealer? Or just acrylic?

And oh yes...please let us know if you are selling...

caukulele
03-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Here are the other two ukes I painted.
Concertina, I use professional quality acrylics, thinned down....but first I sand the ukes lightly with steel wool, then give a very thin layer of Gesso, then the paint, and at the end I seal them with a 50 percent diluted polymer varnish. So far I have not noticed a difference in tone or volume with the ukes..and in fact the paint seemed to markedly improve one of the ones I painted.... I am selling them, so if you are interested just pm me.

WKerrigan
03-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Very nice!

dkcrown
03-09-2014, 12:52 AM
Those look fantastic, Denise! I especially like the blue one. Did you consider painting the necks as well? I realize that it would probably affect the feel and playability of the uke, but I think it would look pretty sharp. Obviously it would have to be a very smooth finish. It appears in one of your photos of the blue one's headstock that there is a fair amount of texture to the paint.

Very nice work. I like! :)

caukulele
03-09-2014, 05:04 AM
Those look fantastic, Denise! I especially like the blue one. Did you consider painting the necks as well? I realize that it would probably affect the feel and playability of the uke, but I think it would look pretty sharp. Obviously it would have to be a very smooth finish. It appears in one of your photos of the blue one's headstock that there is a fair amount of texture to the paint.

Very nice work. I like! :)
Thanks so much for your comments. I did paint one of the necks, but personally did not like the feel of it as I played...and for me it's so important that the sound and playability not be altered when I paint a uke. I also think of the wear on a uke as it is played. Since I thin down the paints so much, the textures are minimum..in fact some of the layers and textures are illusions created with overlays and shadows. (I do love textures though, in my paintings, as they are often very highly layered and textured.)

mm stan
03-09-2014, 05:06 AM
Yes your layers create depth and a 3D effect which looks so neat....:)

SeaArtNancy
03-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Beautiful beautiful work!!! I love your choice of color!!!! Keep it up- I look forward to seeing more!!!!

Nickie
03-12-2014, 05:34 AM
I love it! You took a boring looking instrument and made it a piece of art! Cool!

caukulele
03-12-2014, 05:39 AM
Beautiful beautiful work!!! I love your choice of color!!!! Keep it up- I look forward to seeing more!!!!

I love it! You took a boring looking instrument and made it a piece of art! Cool!

Thanks so much! It is so great for me to be able to combine my two great passions, painting and ukes!!!

JamieWG
03-12-2014, 06:21 AM
It's so nice to encounter a fellow artist/uke player here! I love the painting jobs you've done on the ukes.

justinlcecil
03-15-2014, 01:33 AM
I didn't think you should thin down acrylics with more than 30% water? Too much water leads to flaking/lifting/falling off. The spherical acrylic molecules are too far apart when the water evaporates from the acrylic. I may use a medium instead of water when I paint the uke I am about to start. I'll be using Golden artist grade acrylics. They are amazing!

caukulele
03-15-2014, 04:10 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments.
Hi Justin, I mix a combo of medium and water into my paint when painting the ukes..(enough to flow freely and still maintain the integrity of the paint and the rich colors as well) however the varnish at the end gets thinned down 40 to 50 percent, as it's much better to do two or three thin layers instead of a thicker coat. Golden artist grade acrylics are great stable paints.

Olarte
03-15-2014, 05:22 AM
Beautiful work.

Could you give as general idea of the price range for one of these beauties?

mikelz777
03-15-2014, 06:21 AM
Every time I see the title of the thread, "Another Paintied Uke!" I keep thinking it says, "pantied" uke! What kind of panties would a uke wear? :D

Nice painting BTW.

justinlcecil
03-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Awesome. I'm thinking of using airbrush medium mixed with my acrylics. Prepped my uke today for painting. =) What type of varnish do you use? I have some Gamblin Gamvar around that I like for my canvas paintings.

Diogenes Blue
04-16-2014, 07:09 AM
Beautiful and inspirational work!. The harmony and movement in the colors and texture make it hard to look away. :)

lelouden
05-28-2014, 07:09 AM
Very beautiful work Denise. I really love them all. I just painted a cheap little soprano. I made the mistake of spray varnishing it to a high shine. What a disaster. I have had to sand out runs and now I am just settling in to except all the flaws. It is going to take forever to cure. I should have done thinned down and brushed on. Thank goodness it was a cheap instrument! I love what you've done. You are very talented:)

feeblepizza
05-30-2014, 02:18 AM
Very beautiful. I've considered painting my baritone, but I don't quite think I have the skills to accomplish something great like this. I would probably ruin it. :P

Barbablanca
05-30-2014, 06:42 AM
Every time I see the title of the thread, "Another Paintied Uke!" I keep thinking it says, "pantied" uke! What kind of panties would a uke wear? :D

Great minds think alike ;)

But, yes, I too admire the artwork.

caukulele
05-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Thanks everyone..I am back in the studio today, starting another new uke..It is an open canvas before me..... Always fun to see where each new uke takes me....