Possible Kamaka?

Xtradust

Reaction score
I saw an ad on Craigslist a while back. I noticed one uke had the "double k" on the headstock, but the soundhole seemed really low compared to the other soprano Kamakas I've seen. I figured it was one of the Japanese knock-offs. I asked the guy about it. He didn't think it was anything, so he accepted $75. I sent the money, and he broke off contact. I did a Paypay claim and got the money back, but now the uke is reposted as a "Kamaka". https://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/4362801060.html Do you guys think it's one of the fakes that made Kamaka start the Keiki? Or is it legit? I thought this might be interesting to post.

It looks a lot like this 1960s gold label, but in much rougher shape - I've seen them in much better condition for the same price.

The seller seems a bit... confused, as if he or she is under the impression that the one with the case and "original booklet" is the Kamaka.

And what on earth is a "Private Ukulele Master" anyway? :)

I'm a ukulele master in private...but in public I play fairly poorly! lol. I had kind of wondered how come the master hadn't noticed the double k on the headstock. The seller was pushing the Harmony when I talked to him. There's a bag of tuners in the picture. He said he had the master change out the tuners on both ukes. Ugh.

I'm a ukulele master in private...but in public I play fairly poorly!

Ha, that makes two of us :)

Unless there's something really rare about one of those ukes that I'm missing, in that condition, I think the original $75 would have been reasonable. Maybe $100... maybe!

"I'm a ukulele master in private...but in public I play fairly poorly!"
Well, there's a classic signature line up for grabs....
R

I wouldn't touch those ukes with a ten foot pole considering the way he treated you and your needing PP to get your money back. I'd also put a negative rating on his paypal account (if there's one.) Sounds like a pretty shady character.

I asked for a better picture and he said he wouldn't go to his storage unit unless I paid first! I've thrown money down a rat hole before, so I sent it. Later, there was no way to give him a negative rating and I was just glad to get my money back. He's in Sacramento. If anyone thinks they might be buying from him, PM me and I'll give you his name and email.

Duly warned, be ye, says I!

In that condition, it's not a great deal. I've seen some in very good or better condition for that price.

Top Bottom