PDA

View Full Version : muscle memory fretting hand

mac1012
03-08-2014, 08:12 AM
hi I started uke about ten days ago I have a concert , I am learning basic chord progressions and coming along reasonably well.

my question is I read somewhere that you should not look at your fretting hand finger position at all when fingering chords and changing chords because if you do this only slows down the muscle memory

this has left me a little confused , I have been learning looking at the finger positions and then as I get more familiar I practice not looking , I can locate and move from chords c, d, f,a,g7 , c7, a7, am , I am almost there with g and b and e is slowly coming but I have to look when placing my fingers , so I just wondered what others thought/did on learning technique for instance not look at all and take it really really slow or mixture of both ?

mark

mr roper
03-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Don't worry about things like this. Just keep playing and it'll all become second nature.

wallyboy
03-08-2014, 08:28 AM
all those chords in ten days well done,
the muscle memory will come only with practice,
when you have the chords down, then it will be down to melody of song,
the way I learnt chords was finding an easy song to start then building from there, I have only been playing a year and a bit still enjoying it,
Bb seems to be a major chord for us beginners to hurdle,

mac1012
03-08-2014, 08:37 AM
ok thanks for replies , I guess maybe I am over thinking it too much as I started to get a bit frustrated when I tried not to look at my fingers at all although I can do a few chords and changes without looking I still need to look for some of the harder ones I guess it will come in time , I know the goal is to be able to move around the chords without looking so hopefully one day.....I can keep time and sing along to songs and I was quite pleased when I tried amazing grace and without realising it I was strumming 4/3 time and strumming correctly (I only realised this when I came across a teaching video after !)

fretie
03-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Definitely get your brain out of the way, keep playing, keep enjoying and you will find that just naturally you look at your chord making hand less and less.

Kayouker
03-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Hey, it's just like learning driving. You don't have to really look at the road, right?

Ukejenny
03-09-2014, 04:58 PM
It sounds like you have been doing a very good job with the chords. Muscle memory comes with many, many repetitions. I have muscle memory as long as I'm not moving up the fretboard of the instrument. Once I start jumping around a bit, I have to look.

Icelander53
03-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Well I don't know how you can learn chords without doing some looking in the beginning? I can see the benefit of not staring at your fretboard constantly but in the beginning it certainly helps me to take a look. It's a lot nicer on my playing partners ears too.

SailQwest
03-09-2014, 07:00 PM
I learned mostly playing in the dark, where finger watching wasn't an option. Great for building muscle memory. :D

DownUpDave
03-24-2014, 02:23 AM
Well I don't know how you can learn chords without doing some looking in the beginning? I can see the benefit of not staring at your fretboard constantly but in the beginning it certainly helps me to take a look. It's a lot nicer on my playing partners ears too.

Icelander nailed it. When we were young and learning how to tie our shoes we had to look because it was a new motor skill. We looked intensely, concentrating real hard on moving our hands and fingers in this new pattern. Same with learning to play a stringed instrustment for the first time. You have to look and concentrate and command your fingers to move in a certain way. Lots of repetitions later it becomes muscle memory but not before a conscious effort at the beginning to learn a new pattern. Like any new skill you start out stumbling, looking all the time, gradually aquiring the skill so you look sometimes then none at all.

Kyle23
03-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Go ahead and look if you need to. Make sure you're getting it right and then after a bit you won't even have to look at them. I used to concentrate so hard on the strings and I'd post videos of me playing and people would joke that I was concentrating too hard haha. In just a few weeks I was able to easily play without looking or even paying attention to my playing.