Tear out in a top. Disaster or Opportunity?

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I thought I'd show everyone that even with heaps of experience and doing everything right, sometimes things just go wrong.

This uke has seemed to fight me right from the get go. Little things here and there. It hasn't been and easy build, and just when I thought I might be on the home stretch this happened.

The binding ledge was scribed and routed with out any problem at all, and all that was left was a quick pass around the top and back for the purfling ledge. When this happened in the last few centimetres of the last pass.

Scallop trim to top_2014March07_001.jpg

So take a deep breath, walk away and boil the jug for a cup of tea.....still not too happy let me tell you. Come back for another look and scratch my head, get worked up some more and have to walk away again.

Contemplate having to replace the top and not really wanting to go down that path. So then started thinking inlay. But what sort of inlay that doesn't look like it was put there to hide some stuff up, and that goes with my Art Deco styling?

Google searches brought up all sorts of designs, but all of them too complicated to seriously consider for inlay into Western Red Cedar, and then how was I to make it look like a design element that was planned from the start.

I ended up walking through my shed a few times trying to walk off the anger and frustration, and then out of the corner of my eye I saw the other 4 instruments that I have hanging in the dry room waiting to be buffed out.....and the heel cap that I use with a bit of a pointed scallop. Which as chance would have it I ended up using a couple of years ago to cover up another stuff up with a router. And then it hit me...........

And this is what I ended up with. And pretty pleased with it too.

Scallop trim to top_2014March09_004.jpg

how was I to make it look like a design element that was planned from the start.

I'd say you succeeded quite well. Of course, now that we all know the truth, who's going to want this 'second' now, hmm? :p

Wow! Beautiful! You made some good lemonade from that lemon!
I really like the design enhancement. Before I saw your picture I was thinking of maybe a moustache like on Style 3 Martin.

attachment.php

Apologies Allen but it does look a little 'awkward'. The purfling curves don't really flow, too many facets.
Just MO. Personally I would have put in the more normal multiple purfling lines.

Thanks for sharing. Great save.

I think it's great. Great save. I had that happen to me on WRC too but it couldn't be saved. Where it was it just woulda looked too wierd

Nice bum cheeks!

I actually think its a massive improvement - to me it increases the value and desire ability. Did it take you long to sort the jig out, or was it one you already had?

No jig. Just used the perspex pattern that I have for my tops / backs to scribe the line on the inlay. Use some french curves I have for the other lines. Make the inlay piece and then scribe the top. Worked out the offset for the purfling lines and then removed all the material. Glue in place with HHG.

Apologies Allen but it does look a little 'awkward'. The purfling curves don't really flow, too many facets.
Just MO. Personally I would have put in the more normal multiple purfling lines.

That would have required 3 sets of purflings, and that doesn't work with the rest of my theme at all. I had considered it but not an option I would have been happy with, and the top would have looked like I was trying to hide something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been there, done that and I liked it so much I even made a pattern jig and used it on several instruments (top & back). People (other builders mostly) kept asking me if it hid a mistake so stopped doing. It's a useful trick to have on your back pocket though.

Very nice!

Top Bottom