Proper strumming without a pick?

misterlee

Reaction score
With all the struggles I have with my left hand for chords on my uke/guitar, I've come to realize that I'm not strumming correctly with my right hand, either. To be safe, I've been just strumming with the outer side of my thumb to make it easier for a percussive tap to make a Chunk noise (which is just a tap on the E string). So like, what's the proper (if any) hand position for a pick-less strum?

I would say, there's not really a proper way, but hold your pointing finger and your thumb together as if your holding a pick and try that way. The strumming should feel natural after a while of getting used to it.

i use all my fingers to strum. just kinda curl them under slightly and strum mainly with my index, middle and ring fingers. just something i've always done, works best for me. I definitely don't' strum with my thumb at all.

I use that outer edge when I want it to sound a little softer (like when my baby is asleep). Strumming with the topside nail surface of your index finger tends to play louder, clearer, brighter tones.

as long as you can hear it making a sound and its not hurting you then you are strumming properly

Top Bottom