Aquila non-wound baritone set?

D

dhoenisch

Hey all. I messed with an Aquila set for my baritone recently that I thought I would mention. I don't much care for would strings on a uke, and the wound on baritones never seem to last very long with any set. I had to do some work on my Harmony baritone, and I figured I'd make a set. Fortunately, Aquila has single non-wound strings for baritone, so I purchased a set of Aquila reds for baritone, than I ordered a single D and G string, both non-wound. Put the set together, and it's not bad. The only string that shines out a bit is the D string as it is a little bassy on my uke, but I like that. I'm a bluegrass musician, so the bass I get from the non-wound string works well for me.

Anyhow, since Aquila does make the strings, I wonder why there is no set of all non-wound strings for baritone. I'm not knocking Aquila at all as I love their strings, just wondering why is all. I do think I read somewhere that the sound is more even with the wound strings, and I suppose that's true, but it is nice to have the option for a non-wound set. Well, I guess with their single strings, that really was still an option. I applaud Aquila for selling single strings.

Either way, purchasing the strings from Elderly, I ended up only paying about $9 total to make that set, and it works out great for me. I will be playing my baritone more now that I don't have to worry about those wound strings any longer.

Dan

Top Bottom