What is UAS?

Bookworm

Reaction score
I've seen a couple mentions of UAS on the boards, and was wondering what it stood for. (I tried doing a search of the forum, but "UAS" is too short.)

Ukulele acquisition syndrome.

UAS = "ukulele acquisition syndrome" is a euphemistic way of describing an obsession with buying. The first word is modified according to what ever interests you have; I'm a photographer and on the Nikon forum, we call it NUS, Nikon acquisition syndrome, my younger brother is a drummer and his group calls it DAS, my nephew is a guitarist and his group calls it GAS.

Then there's the offshoots, like recently I started using UAAS; ukulele accessory acquisition syndrome. I have a pretty strong case of UAS, since starting to play uke last June, by the end of this month I will have eight ukuleles (see signature below), compared to playing guitar for almost 50 years, of which I have only four (an Ibanez acoustic/electric zebrawood, Ibanez Artcore jazz arch-top, Fender Telecaster and Ovation 12 string acoustic/electric).

Last edited:
It is an affliction almost all ukulele players suffer from!

Because how many ukuleles is the perfect amount?
Just one more!

You would think since I sell ukuleles I would be satiated with ukes and therefore immune.

Nope! I have it bad!

I have to learn to "love 'em and leave 'em!"

Top Bottom