Best Banjolele

georgenson

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here. I'm looking to purchase a Banjolele, that's not too heavy, sounds good and is comfortable to fret. I previously owned an Oscar Schmidt concert size but the
neck seemed too thick and uncomfortable.
Any suggestions?

Not sure about neck size. A good seller will measure it for you. The new Gretsch banjo ukes seem to be the only ones in their price range with a rolled brass tone ring, Rennaisance head, Grover geared tuners, and a closed back. I think they are a great value.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll definitely check out the Firefly.

I have only played one I admit and it was a tenor firefly with the wood fretboard. Now I think about it constantly and must have it soon or waste away and die of unfulfilled desire.

I have the Firefly soprano with rosewood fretboard and Peghed tuners (as seen in my avatar photo). I was an Early Adopter - S/N 022. (I still get a kick out of telling people that!) I ordered mine after playing two of the prototypes for an hour or so, at the Magic Fluke Company in Sheffield, MA. And then Dale showed me the new neck and tailpieces he had designed.

I've played many others that I like, but I really love the Firefly.

-Kurt​

I am in a Bluegrass jam on Monday nights, and one of the guys in our group plays an Eddy Finn. I do not know what kind of reputation an Eddy Finn uke has all I know is it sounds great. He plays clawhammer on it for some of the songs, and it really adds a lot to our group.

Hey Kurt I guess I'm also an early adopter of sorts. I got one of the first Cricket Violins in production from MFC... my Cricket is #0032 ;-) My firefly is #895 and it has a rosewood fretboard. I love it!

I have the Firefly soprano with rosewood fretboard and Peghed tuners (as seen in my avatar photo). I was an Early Adopter - S/N 022. (I still get a kick out of telling people that!) I ordered mine after playing two of the prototypes for an hour or so, at the Magic Fluke Company in Sheffield, MA. And then Dale showed me the new neck and tailpieces he had designed.

I've played many others that I like, but I really love the Firefly.

-Kurt​

The fireflies are pretty cool...awhile back I made one similar to it with a Remo hand drum.

I've only played a few "modern" banjo ukes and didn't like 'em too much. I prefer something older. I have a Slingerland from the 1920's and it's a great little player. The neck is skinnier so if you're wanting to play more Formby style, that's the way to go (in my opinion). Of course, this is all contingent upon whether you can find an older one in good condition.

Whatever you end up with, hope you love it!

Top Bottom