Babinga and Spruce Tenor

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I've used Babinga a couple of times, and it never ceases to amaze me for a couple of reasons. The color and figure is something to behold, which is good, but how incredibly difficult it is to work doesn't get me wanting to use it again for quite some time.

Top - Bear Claw Sitka Spruce
Back and Sides - Babinga
Neck - Spanish Cedar
Bindings - Australian Blackwood
Fret Board and Bridge - Ebony
Head Plates - Red Gum Burl
Tuners - Grover
Strings - Worth
Rosette - Spalted Mango and Paua

Babinga & Spruce Tenor_2014March12_006.jpgBabinga & Spruce Tenor_2014March12_021.jpgBabinga & Spruce Tenor_2014March12_009.jpgBabinga & Spruce Tenor_2014March12_012.jpgBabinga & Spruce Tenor_2014March12_018.jpg

In what ways did you find Bubinga to be difficult Allen?

Pretty uke!

Really like your rosettes. Distinctive while keeping the lines clean - not simple to make, but uncomplicated to look at.

I must say Allen - That Uke is definately worth me typing....'great job'. Very neat, soundhole is fab, and the Babinga is.....just beautiful! Wish i could get some of that at a reasonable price in the UK...
Well made mate

Yes Sven, the rosette is made with Micheal's rosette cutter along with a scalpel and some small dog leg chisels to get into the corners. . It's a long process of laying in the larger tiles, then allowing the glue to dry and coming back for other elements.

This Babinga is as hard as flint. Not easy to bend, scrape, sand and the pores are very large. It took 3 very thorough pore fill sessions to take care of them.

Bubinga is really pretty, especially the waterfall grain stuff like your uke. I noticed that it was difficult to resaw. I was slicing some Bubinga at 15" depth, and getting more blade wander than with any other wood I have sawn. Thanks for sharing Allen.

Top Bottom