Jarrah

Wildestcat

Reaction score
I have been offered a small quantity of Jarrah in approx. 2" x 1" billets. I have no experience of this wood, and have not yet seen it, but very grateful for any opinions as to suitability for uke construction. I guess the sizing limits the options, but maybe fingerboards?

Hi Paul - sorry i cant answer your question as ive never used it - but i just wanted to add my interest in any feedback too. Ive thought about using Jarrah for future builds. Info so far is that its very heavy, and tough to cut. With the pieces that youve got - could be worth trying a laminated neck? or even just using it for bindings, rosette etc due to its beautiful red colour...?

Last edited:
If you are talking about Australian Jarrah, then it's really not suited for instruments other than in small elements like bindings. It moves about in changes to humidity too much in my opinion.

Hi ,as you can see from my location I live in a town named after this tree. When it was first cut and exported in about 1840 it was called Swan River Mahogany so product branding isn't something new. Unfortunately, to work with it is'nt anything like mahogany and I would agree with Allan's comments that it is basically too unstable for instruments. One of the best luthier's around these parts (Scott Wise, http://www.scottwise.net/ ) occasionally uses it for ukes and guitars but he says that "it never totally gives up on the idea up being a tree". I'm all up for using unusual timber for uke's and for experimenting ( see my thread about the heaviest soprano ever?) but I wouldn't use Jarrah and I'm surrounded by the stuff.

cheers

Paul

Allen & Paul - many thanks for your comments. As I mentioned, I haven't seen the wood yet - but if the pieces turn out to be long enough to use for bindings, then I 'll give it a try. Otherwise I'll not bother.

Yes - id like to thank you also. Id had an idea for a while to try Jarrah (as we have a rich abundance of railway sleepers - generally made from Jarrah) its probably a no go from your informed advices.

I was sent some binding material from a mate in Albany WA a couple of years ago. They are stunning with all the fiddleback in them and I wish I had a truck load of them. They finish to a lovely plum color.

But like I said, it would be about all I'd really consider using it for in an instrument.

Top Bottom